How to quilt Tree of Life

Hi Connie,

All that pale fabric is a perfect spot for some extravagant stitching. If you have some realistic fruit/leaves/nuts in your library, place those across the top, bottom, and the bordered space around the tree in a thread a few shades darker than the background. Extend the diagonal brown strip with stitching all the way to the border to enclose the space. After you place the motifs, fill around with tendrils and freehand leaves--maybe echoing as well, to fill the space.

I am visualizing a theorem painting style almost like a cornucopia--realistic-looking fruits and leaves. Similar to what you find appliqued on Baltimore album quilts. It would fit with the era of the Tree of Life as well. The balance of the pale fabric--the triangles around the center plus the background around the tree--your favorite filler. CC the pale triangles of the tree and leave the brown triangles unquilted. The trunk could have simple vertical lines to fill it--it matches the geometry of the rest of the tree and will contrast nicely with the natural curves of the rest.

Man, I have big ideas for a quilt I don't have to do!!! Easy to say--maybe not so easy to stitch!!

Connie,

Just press that "magic" button on the IQ!!! It will do the rest!! ;):D No Problem!!!! Still too difficult? Just send it to Linda with note - "YOU do it!" (Betcha she would too ;) )

Like Shana, I also like Linda's ideas - heavy fillers to let the Tree pop.

Can't wait to see what the finished quilt will look like.

Cheers,

Archived