Minkie

Never seen this material before. The lady sent it for her backing and calls it "Minkie". Is really soft and has like indentations in the fabric. It does stretch some. Was wanting to see if anyone has LA quilted with this fabric for the backing before? And does it stretch alot? It is soft as butter. I don't want to mess up any of it. She said if I couldn't use it to send it back and use something I might have that would look good. Is for a childs quilt.

Any help on this one girls??;)

It quilts beautifully I think. You do have to be careful not to over stretch it.

I guess it requires a tad more attention but it should be great.

I found it hard to square as it slips and slides so much. I was able to adjust my pins to get it lined out ok.

I also was doing a childs quilt. I didn't mind it.

PS. I did get alot lint/fuzz in the machine so I just used my air machine to blow it out every few minutes.

No tension problems as the thread just sinks into the minkee so you can't tell anyway. lol good luck There is more on the subject if you do a search on Minkee.

I've quilted on minkie several times and it always sews up nicely. I do lengthen my stitch a bit and don't make a mistake because it is really hard to take out. I agree that it does cause lint. It does make a beautiful baby quilt but I have found that quilting a pieced minkie project is difficult. The seams are just too thick and the hopping foot gets stuck on the bumps. With pieced minkie, I suggest meander of some sort so you can quilt closely but go around the intersections.

I used minkee on a baby quilt a few months ago. I really liked the end result. I have some photos of it on web shots if you would like to see what the back looks like when done. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/552428924lxUEzy

(LaPierre Quilt)

I am a newbie and this was the first ?non practice quilt? I did on my machine?.

The minkee I used was smooth (without the dots). I was very mindful not to stretch it. I basted around the perimeter before I started quilting just to make sure it did not slip, I think that I got one tuck?.. Once the binding was on I was the only one who noticed.

I would use it again for a baby quilt.

Good luck with you quilt,

KB

thanks girls for all the advice, this is going to be for the back of the quilt. Glad to hear it isn't that difficult. But will make sure longer stitches and NO ripping on this one. I just love how soft it feels and have never seen this type of material before and have tried quilting just about everything...or so I thought. A new one for the books.

Archived