Gingko leaves????

Yes I would definitely use black thread. I would probably change thread for the outside border though from just looking at the picture. I still say do something to fill in the background like the all-over above but really you could put some really pretty motifs in there and then fill it in. Feathers would look awesome on this quilt too. Sometimes with spaces that big is good to break them up into different areas with straight lines and then fill in. Really lots of options.

OK (IMHO) :P Here is a design idea.

I think a thread color like dark orange/rust, or even golden brown thread would look pretty for the quilting. To me, the quilting needs to stand out just a little bit... not too much... (subtle but that you notice it's there--- nothing too bright... maybe a dark orange/rust, or even dark golden brown thread) to accentuate the star piecing.

If she wants ginko leaves, you could have a spine but make them ginko leaves alternating on each side of the spine, instead of feathers! :) Or, just meandering ginko leaves in the black area? Whatever you choose, I would pick a thread color that pulls from the colors in the star blocks.

Molar feathers or hook feathers might look really pretty too.

post--13461906179458_thumb.jpg

Archived