Accuquilt Studio

I'm a hand appliquer and love to do the hand work so that was just what popped into my head. LOL There are lots of videos out there for the Go but you can usually apply those to the studio cutter as well. I want to play some day with piecing a block and then cutting it into sections and making a new block. Just need time to play.

Heidi. I've just spoken with the owner of Stitch in the Ditch here in Canada. She sells the Sizzix cutters and dies as well as the GO products. I have the Accuquilt Studio and was wondering the same thing - how to use GO dies on the Studio. I love my Studio, but the dies are not available in Canada and I always have to order from the U.S. which I wouldn't mind so much if the postage wasn't so costly.

Apparently you can get an adapter pad from Accucut that you place on the tray under the die. It will lift the die up enough to be able to use the Sizzix dies. Then if you add two layers of cardboard (the thickness of a priority post envelop) under the adaptor pad you can use the GO dies.

Accuquilt does not recommend this, but I'm going to try it. They say it will void the warranty of the Studio - so if someone tries this based on this advice, please do so at your own risk. I've ordered the adapter pad from Accucut and one GO die and one Sizzix die. When they get here I will try it out and let everyone know if it works.

Here are a couple of videos:

Ebony showing how to use Sizzix on Studio:

http://www.accuquilt.com/videos/accuquilt/studiodietrayadapterwmv-video_d33ba9dc8.html

Patsy showing how to use GO on Sizzix:

Heidi, I'm so grateful you confirm the strip dies are worth it. I'd like to collect all I can of those babies! Cutting strips is such a

pain and my ruler ALWAYS seems to slip. So if there is any fabric waste, well I'm already used to that. :P I love your idea of using freezer paper and the dies as a template for applique! I will have to try that once I order some cute shapes.

Mrs. A., have fun with those applique dies! I must admit, I drooled over the circle dies and the leaves and flowers and the birds, and, and, and! :o Such fun, cute quilts you are going to make with your dies! That little tree on their home page made of circles and birds is so sweet!

Ok so you all love your cutters. I have the Go so I could cut 2.5" strips and 5" squares for my shop, BUT THEY ARE NOT ACCURATE so I can't sell them!

The 5"squares are off buy one eighth or one sixteenth of an inch in one direction only depending on which way the grain is going.

The 2.5"strips often get a pleat pushed in to them and this then causes a kink in the cut strip.

I'm told I can put paper between the layers and this will stop the slippage but how many reams of paper would I use when cutting jelly rolls?.

I also think the wastage is ridiculous especially with some of the applique dies like hearts and stars.

The handle is quite an effort to turn, if you have problems with your hands it would be too difficult to use.

I am sending mine back. I seem to be the only dissenting voice on this product and would love to see it being used properly as my experience has been all bad!

Yvette in the UK

Yvette, I bought the strip cutters, but have not used them yet. I have the Go. I think the problem is with the GO model and I think the Studio model would be much better all around. Due to lack of space and the difference in price, I bought the GO. If I had it to do over, I would centainly have preferred the Studio model, although, I would still have the space issue; not sure how to overcome that.

I would suggest trying the Studio model if you can find someone nearby who has one. My Guild has the Studio and it is so much better, in my opinion.

Originally posted by Bonnie H

Heidi, I'm so grateful you confirm the strip dies are worth it. I'd like to collect all I can of those babies! Cutting strips is such a

pain and my ruler ALWAYS seems to slip. So if there is any fabric waste, well I'm already used to that. :P I love your idea of using freezer paper and the dies as a template for applique! I will have to try that once I order some cute shapes.

You can mark your strip cutters too so that after you cut your strips place them on the cutter again and cut diamonds, triangles and squares.

Archived