Skipping Stitches Only Backwards

Alright, I need help. My Milli is making extra long stitches (skipping stitches?) only on the backwards strokes. Okay, more explanation...standing in the front of the machine, testing tension on the side batting with test fabric. When I pull machine head towards me, stitches look great. When I push machine towards the back, it starts to make extra long stitches.

I did try non-regulated mode and exact same thing happened. Alright, I need help. My Milli is making extra long stitches (skipping stitches?) only on the backwards strokes. Okay, more explanation...standing in the front of the machine, testing tension on the side batting with test fabric. When I pull machine head towards me, stitches look great. When I push machine towards the back, it starts to make extra long stitches. I did try non-regulated mode and exact same thing happened.

In the photo - the 1st column from the left is the forward and the 2nd backwards, etc, all the way through. Any ideas? I'm stumped until APQS opens tomorrow.

Thanks,

Julie

post--13461906245441_thumb.jpg

Julie,

I'm no expert, you could try a new needle. It is possibly something to do with timing and the way the needle flexes a little differently with the reverse movement. Have a look at the hook assembly as it swings around to glide past the needle, there may be some wear or something that is making it miss the thread sometimes when going backwards. The manual would have a section that might help what I'm trying to explain. I'm sure someone else will come up with the right info soon.

Good luck.

Judy

Sorry, I should have included before..

Using Superior Poly Quilter on the top and superBob on the bottom. Size 21 needle. Changed twice just in case. I've checked the wheels. No, unfortunately it does it no matter what stitch length. The weird part was that it did it even on not regulated and only backwards. I'm trying to think if I got it jammed at all - I don't remember anything but the only other thing I'm coming around to is timing!

Aggh,

Julie

Your timing may be just a touch off. Try going diagonally back and to the left. If that makes it really bad it is the part of the timing where you check the needle deflection. It is the front-to-back bobbin case adjustment on the shaft.

I had terrible problems with this once- frogged half a quilt- because I had skipped stitches and it was always in the same spot on the panto. Now I set my needle deflection a bit tighter than spec, but don't have the problem.

Julie,

poly quilted pulls very hard on the needle. It is pulling your needle away from the hook when you push the machine away from yourself, far enough that the hook can't grab the thread when it passes behind the needle.

if you have a 4.5 needle, try that first. Its stiffer shaft may reduce the flex enough for you to get back in business. If you don't have one, then you will need to tighten the timing a bit--there is too much of a gap between the hook and the needle. Check the timing info in your manual and study the section on "hook clearance" carefully...the needle needs to deflect a bit.

Dawn,

I started out with a 4.5 needle only the thread kept shredding and breaking every 30 seconds. Of course when I looked online, Superior's recommendation is for a size 21 / 5.0 needle. So I switched to that.

To be honest, I think I only have 1 or 2 spools of the Superior Poly Quilter. I've only stitched in about 12 inches of this first row. I'm thinking it might be easier to go get a different thread and retire the Poly. It even looks thicker than the King Tut. I admit I am still really a beginner at a lot of this. With some of the thicker threads I've had to work at really getting the tension balanced, but this is starting to be so frustrating that it isn't worth it. The quilt on the frame is mine so it won't affect a customer. After all, when you begin to cook, you might learn cookies or brownies, but you don't start off with a souffle, right? lol

I'll let you know what happens - Rob is going to work on it this morning.

Julie

Archived