Washing Quilt with Wool Batt - what soap?

Guest Linda S

I use Kirkland (Costco) detergent for HE washers. Wool batts are pretty hearty. Don't be afraid of them. Most of my quilts have been washed a million and a half times (and dried on regular dry in the dryer) and they are still in great shape. Oh - I use wool almost exclusively in my own quilts.

Linda

DON'T USE WOOLITE! It contains bleach. (How else can you get whites to sparkle in cold water?) They say it doesn't, but it made all the colors run in the only quilt I ever washed with it, and all the fabrics had been pre-washed.

I use ONLY Shaklee products for everything I launder, specifically "Fresh Laundry" (used to be call "Liquid L) and Basic H, a marvelous little product with countless uses that reduces the surface tension of water "making water wetter" so it cleans better. Shaklee products are completely biodegradable and contain no phosphates. I don't know if any other laundry product can make that claim. Shaklee has always made products "in harmony with nature," long before it became popular to do so.

NO, I DON'T SELL SHAKLEE products, but I could because I know them to be so good.

I go to the local horse/cow feed store and buy Orvus in the gallon size. I'm on my 2nd gallon in my quilting career so far, and it's great. States clearly on it "Not for home use.", but who cares? It's so much cheaper to buy it that way, and it lasts for a long time.

Thanks for all of the help from you ladies. Took Heidi's suggestion and bought the Dreft. Went to laundromat. Washed on cold. Dried for just a few min. on delicate and then brought it home and finished drying on neighbor's clothesline. It is warm here today and there is a strong breeze. Took about 2 hours to finish dring. It is a large quilt, 118" x 118", and it washed beautifully. Think I will use wool in all of the quilts for myself. I am so delighted with the way the quilt washed. Love the definition when quilting wool and it is wonderful for sleeping.

Marilyn

Marilyn

I bet it smells wonderful!!!!! I miss the smell of laundry dried outside :cool: I use a lot of QD wool and love it. I was using baby detergent for the quilts but didn't have any for the last one so I used my regular Tide (gentle no scent) HE. I threw in a few dye catchers and it came out beautiful. I use cold water, permanent press dry. We had a lady do a batting presentation at our guild, she told everyone that wool batting shrinks never use it! Poor girl she got clobbered. I felt a little sorry for her because her entire business is selling QD and she really didn't know much about batting. She stood in front of group and read the labels that come with their batting packages.

Archived