Stutter on top thread

KathyA

I'm having trouble with the top thread on my Millie - running So Fine right now. When I pull the thread it 'stutters' as I pull it. I cannot get it to pull smooth even when I take all the tension off. It then eventually breaks. The thread pulls smooth outside of the tension disks.

So - removed the thread from the machine and cleaned the tension disks. Rethreaded from start to finish - same problem. Then I took the tension assembly apart and cleaned it that way, wiped everything, even the whatever it's called that the disks slide on to. Still having an issue. The U shapped component flexes as it should and is in the correct position (I have 2 machines and can compare them).

Any suggestions? TIA:D

Kathy

When we have had So Fine break it has almost always been a worn thread guide. Hold your thread above and below the guide and drag it in a circle around the inside of the guide and see if it catches. The thread will wear a groove into the guide. If they are worn and you don't have spares loosen the screws and turn them upside down and retighten until you get new ones. I have to replace our pigtails about every 125 quilts or so. Also check the check spring for a groove as well.

Nigel

Sue - yep, it happens with a different cone too. Tried swapping them out and it's done it on this next quilt too.

Nigel - it's a stutter more than thread break that is causing the problem. it's like the thread is catching but it's not happening in the thread guides, pulls smoothly there. Only with the tension disks. And there's no burr there that I can find even with the magnifiers I have.

Stumped

Kathy,

I have seen this ... after using a cone that has a long tail of thread hanging off, I re-wind it back up and put it away. Later when I go to use it, I will unwind a bit to thread the machine. Somtimes, it is a bit jerky off the cone. It seems to me as if the thread got tangled a bit in storage or by my winding. Does that make sense?

Other times, I have had the thread smoothly leave the take up lever (the little arm with a hole for the thread that goes up and down) only to get caught in the crack between the front and side panels of the front of the machine. I solved it with a piece of painters tape to seal the crack so nothing can get caught.

The only other thing is static build up. In the winter when it is very dry here in the north east or very hot with the AC on, the poly thread seems to be attracted to the side of the machine like a magnet...that makes it run in a stuttery fashion as well. Though your situation sounds more severe.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm taking today off and will play with it tomorrow. I'll look it all over again tomorrow with your notes in hand and hopefully I'll come up with something. It's usually something simple.

Archived