Hobbs 100% cotton vs. W&N??

Thinking of buying a roll of the Hobbs 100% cotton bc it's so much cheaper than W&N, how does it compare to W&N??

I love the Hobbs 80/20 for customer quilts but I like the W&N for my quilt.

Can you guys enlighten me on the diff. between the Hobbs 100% cotton and W&N???

Thankyou bunches, Amie :o)

Guest Linda S

I don't really like either for longarm quilting. The Hobbs is linty and doesn't hold up real well to tugging. With W&N and W&W, you barely see any definition to the quilting. It has always seemed a little silly to me to pay someone to quilt something special and not have the quilting show much. I suppose it's a good option for flat wallhangings or table runners, but other than that, it's not my first choice. I too love wool.

Warm & natural is my favourite, and I've done a bunch of quilts on my domestic Bernina with it - not so much with the definition of the quilting, but with the way the end product works - my husband loves it because, and I quote, "It's warm enough for Toronto in winter, and cool enough for Texas in summer" - and has a good amount of weight, which is what we both prefer in a quilt.

I don't have a preferance at this time but I know that I don't like poly but I like the detail that I can get out of it. I can't use wool I am alergic to it:( So what type of batting can I use for detail? I have not really used a specific brand I just know that I do like the cotton and cotton blend but they are flat. So I too would like to know what you all think about batting and what you can use for differant detail work and comfort.

I like 80/20 Hobbs and warm & natural is ok, there is always a use for the other battings depending upon what look you are after.

I just finished a vintage trip around the world, used Legacy blend, I wanted it to look it's age when washed, I am happy with the result.

My personal quilts for shows I use QD wool and Hobbs 80/20 for definition, QD 70/30 for our bed quilts/utilitarian use. Silk blend by Hobbs is buttery, love it.

Hobbs wool is ok.

All kinds of battings in the market I tried at least once for my personal quilts that way I could recommend & help customers.

Corey

I really enjoy using Arctic Bamboo which is a 50/50 blend of cotton and bamboo, it has no resins or binders in the fabric and can be quilted 8" apart without shifting or shedding through the top of the quilt. This natural blend drapes beautifully and also shows good definition of your quilting ; it does have a 3% shrinkage so your quilts will also have that "antique" look if desired.

Originally posted by Quilting Grammy

I don't have a preferance at this time but I know that I don't like poly but I like the detail that I can get out of it. I can't use wool I am alergic to it:( So what type of batting can I use for detail? I have not really used a specific brand I just know that I do like the cotton and cotton blend but they are flat. So I too would like to know what you all think about batting and what you can use for differant detail work and comfort.

It's a shame you can't use wool, but on your next personal project, try a double batt of cotton next to the backer and a thin poly on top of that. Even with both batts being thin, the poly will give you the detail in the stitching and the cotton is a firm base that will give a bit of heft to the finished product. This combo will help with any tension woes that I get with thin batting used alone.

Archived