Major Bummer

Today I finally loaded a quilt..first one since we moved into the new house in April. The needle sounded a little dull, so I went to put in a new needle and discovered the needle bar set screw is stripped! No quilting for me today or for a few days until I get a new screw. :(

Oh, well, I spent the afternoon with my daughter in the sewing room. She is making some cute burp cloths for the baby. It was a fun afternoon in spite of no quilting.

Hi, Shana,

My son-in-law is a mechanic and he thinks he has some at the shop. Hopefully they will work and I will be able to replace Kristina's. I have spares of just about everything else! I was just shocked that this happened. Literally three quilts have been quilted on my new machine. This was the first time I changed the needle! I hope the needlebar itself isn't damaged.

I want to mention that if you tighten the set screw down hard, a groove will be worn in the end of the screw and the needle will sometimes fall out. If the screw is stripped, you will need a new one of course. If it is grooved, try the opposite side hole on the needle bar and the screw will most likely work until it can be replaced. I hope you are happily quilted again soon.

Thanks, Linda, we did try both sides. I knew I had a problem when the screw would start to tighten and then the needle would fall out. You can see on the screw where the threads are messed up. They look flat. My new machine was a demo so maybe that has something to do with it. Due to Kristina's generosity, I should be back in business again in a couple of days! I can't wait to get back to quilting. I have two grandbaby quilts to get done!

Archived