piano keys

When you do piano keys on the borders of a quilt do you use thread that blends with the color of the border or do you use a color that will show? I have a dark blue almost black border and am not sure if I use dark blue thread if it will look right. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Mary

Guest Linda S

I like blending thread too. I'm not one for the splashy threads except when it's my own quilt I want to jazz up. I figure, unless they tell me otherwise, that a piecer has brought me her top to do because she is proud of the job she did on the quilt, and wants me to take special care of it. She's not into me being a show-off (which I can be if I really want!), but wants me to highlight her wonderful piecing job. Now, that said, I'm not insinuating that you are a show-off, and I'm certainly not even hinting that all my piecers do an excellent job! ;)

Most of my customers have been pretty traditional quilters so usually they request blended quilting.

Thread color choice is usually their decision even if they give me more of a free rein on their quilts.

Now mine that is sometimes different.

You can always use a Bottom Line thread on the back. It blends well and I find that I can use a different top and bottom thread when using BL. Often I don't use a dark BL since the thread is so thin it's not as contrasting as you would think. I use champagne most of the time. Works great.

You can always use a Bottom Line thread on the back. It blends well and I find that I can use a different top and bottom thread when using BL. Often I don't use a dark BL since the thread is so thin it's not as contrasting as you would think. I use champagne most of the time. Works great.

Did you choose piano keys to conceal a piecing problem like a wavy boarder? If so, that may help you with your decision. You may not want to call attention to the sides. However, I just finished a quilt from H-ll that I used contrasting thread and I wanted to draw attention away from the center where there were some real piecing issues.

Archived