California Here We Come!

The ocean off of California, especially northern Cal is cold because the water circulates opposite of the Atlantic ocean. That means it circulates down from the gulf of Alaska. The winds circulate down too so they can be chilly in the evenings. Don't miss the giant redwoods on the Northern California coast. That is where they filmed one of the Star Wars movies that had the little furry creatures that lived in the tree villages. If you get to Yureka on the north coast, go over to Ferndale. It is an old lumber baron town with lots of the Queen Anne Victorian houses. Many of them have been restored over the past 20 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. We had a great time in California. I could live there!

Beautiful place, so much to see and do. We got to visit LA, SF and Napa. Just loved it.

The kids got to do kid things, my computer guy son went to Apple HQ and was beaming the entire time. My daughter got to go to a web-based fabric shop and was thrilled to get home-dec fabric for her room. My hubby went on a wine tour and ate lots of great food. I am happy because they are happy.

Now, if it would just stop raining here so the kids could go back to school!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have work to do.

It was a long trip, but the 4 of us did well 24/7. Coming home was another story. We barely got back before the hurricane hit. The airport was a mess. They would not let us on the first plane, since they took off early to beat the storm. Then, they re-scheduled us ........ only on standby. Really 4 people, including 2 kids on standby???

Unitied was not our friend!! Once on the plane - the tailwinds pushed us back home, literally.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I would be lost without this forum full of wonderful friends.

Archived