California Here We Come!

We are so excited...we are going to vacation in California!

Any suggestions of fun things for the family in Los Angeles, San Francisco and in between??

My 14 year old son would love a water park and the insides of Google or any tech place. My 10 year old daughter loves nature (yes, the seals are on the list!). My husband is looking forward to the beautiful wine country. I'll be happy if they are happy. Should be a great time for these east-coasters.

I hope my customers wil lbe patient while we are away.

I love Cambria, California, quaint little town where Hearst Castle is,and along the same coast of Ca lots of wineries in Paso Robles, Ca, , Cotton Ball Quilt Shop in nearby Morro Bay, you can go to Monterey and see the aquarium to name a few. Have fun.

Corey

If you visit the Carmel/Monterey area I would recommend a visit to Point Lobos. It is a state park south of Carmel on a pretty bit of coastline. There is usually quite a bit of wildlife around, birds, sea otters, sea loins. I am not sure if there will be any whales around at this time of year. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=571 If you go to Cambria there is a beach near Hearst Castle where there are elephant seals. They come ashore in the winter to give birth and breed but there are often still some around during the summer months.

If you continue up to San Francisco via San Jose, there is a water park in San Jose http://www.ragingwaters.com/ Also there is a Tech Museum in San Jose http://www.thetech.org/ Google is Mountain View and Apple in Cupertino, both on the San Francisco peninsula between San Jose and San Francisco. You might try contacting them to see if they do public tours. Hewlett Packard are in Palo Alto, Intel in Santa Clara. There are so many tech companies within a few miles of one another on the peninsula.

There is also a quilt museum in San Jose http://www.sjquiltmuseum.org/

If your husband is interested in wine he will be content as you are never very far away from vineyards in California.

I hope that you enjoy your trip.

Sue

If you go to Monterey, they have whale watching tours there. We went on one and it was really nice. I second what Sue said. Another thing in Monterey is 17 mile drive in Pebble Beach. You pay to drive it. (Pebble Beach is gated) The views are worth it though. Beautiful scenery and some gorgeous homes as well as some otters and wildlife.

My DH and kids went to the tech musueum in San Jose and had I great time.

Phil's Fishmarket is a fun place to eat in Moss Landing. Another good place to eat in Monterey is the Fishwife. This is assuming that the family likes seafood!

In LA, I loved walking on the Strand, the sidewalk next to the beach, in Manhattan Beach. The ocean is pretty to look at and the homes right on the Strand are very interesting to see. Santa Monica is also very nice with a bunch of shops and places to eat by the water.

I lived in Monterey for two years and LA. for four. Let me know if you want more details.

Michelle

And what is not to love in San Francisco? The Golden Gate bridge (you can walk across), Pier 39, China Town, the Japanese Gardens, Alcatraz island, Ghirardelli Chocolate factory, Union Square, riding the trollies, the seals down at the pier, Fisherman's Wharf and the smell of fog:D:D Oh...did I mention I grew up north of SF:D:D

Korbel Champagne is in Santa Rosa, along with many other vineyards that are in Sonoma and Napa. Russian River area, driving up highway 1 along the coast any where is beautiful (but will take time and don't forget the dramine, sorry about the spelling, for car sickness because it is filled with hairpin turns:o)

Have fun. I think you might need a vacation from your vacation:P:o:P

The best travel guide I have found are the "DK Eyewitness Travel Guide" They have pictures, price guide lines, maps, they divide a city into sections so you know what you can see in an area and often have a very brief history of a site. They publish them for states and cities.

I was going to add to a previous post, but I just add a new post:P:P

Just north of the Golden Gate bridge on Highway One is Muir Woods. The redwood trees are beautiful and well worth seeing. Further up the coast is Bodega Bay, Point Reyes, Tomales Bay and beaches.

You are all so helpful! Thanks.

Michelle, I would welcome more info from an insider. You can email me directly if it is easier. Thanks!

Cheryl, that book sounds great, I'll get it tonight. I did not know you can walk the GGBridge...what fun.

Of course my DH is worried about the big equake...all I can think about is the fun....and the big custom quilt I have to finish before then.

Thanks...love the suggestions:):).

It is fun to walk the GGBridge. There is also a place to park on the north side of the bridge so stay in the right lane crossing the bridge because it is right after you get off the bridge (this is assuming you are driving across), of course you'll need to pay toll to get back in to SF, there is no toll north bound only south bound. I am not sure if one can park down at the Presido (the old military base and get up to the bridge).

Summer is foggier in SF, so make sure you do have a sweatshirt. The morning fog usually burns off, but it can be cool until it does. Oh, I love watching the fog roll in from the top of Mt Tamalpias (sp) in Mill Valley.

Don't worry about the earthquakes, if they happen they happen.:o It is really a beautiful city and quite walkable too.:D Public transportation is very good between the buses and the trollies.

San Francisco is cooler than LA. The wind off the SF Bay is what gets to you. The Bay Area is usually foggy in August. In theory it isn't the same way in S. Cal but this last week we have had a lot of morning fog and the temperatures have been very pleasant.

If you have time you may enjoy driving up Highway 1 from Morro Bay (central CA) through Big Sur to Monterey. It is a wonderful drive and will take you a whole day. The northbound trip is less hair raising as you are not at the edge of the earth looking down into the ocean. In the Big Sur area is a restaurant called Nepenthe. It was started by Kaffe Fassett's parents and it still run by family members. The views are wonderful and it is a relaxing place to stop for a while. They seem happy to let you hang out as long as you want without trying to hurry you out.

Sue

SF should be sixties during the day and fifties at night. LA 80s/60s

Our favorite thing to do in northern California is to go hot air ballooning in the Windsor/Santa Rosa area. It is an unbelievable experience! Up and Away Ballooning is a great way to go. It's a total experience where you help with set up and take down and have a delicious home made brunch served under the big trees behind the Kendall Jackson winery. From start to finish is about 5-6 hours.

Here's a link to the site. Location is about an hour north of San Francisco in the Sonoma Valley.

http://www.up-away.com/

Here are my pictures from a couple flights. I took my cousin with me the 2nd time. She's deathly afraid of heights, but was ready to join the crew by the time we landed!

https://picasaweb.google.com/trilliumhousebc/HotAirBalloonRideWindsorCalifornia#

https://picasaweb.google.com/trilliumhousebc/WindsorCAUpAwayBallooningTHEBEST#

post--13461906723164_thumb.jpg

I totally agree about Hwy 1. It is much easier to take going north vs. going south. I am afraid of heights and the southbound trip almost did me in!

Nepenthe is a cool place to stop and eat in Big Sur. The views are incredible.

You are going to have a great time. L.A. is one of my favorite places. Monterey is my DH's.

Michelle

I do agree about going North on Highway 1.:o:oThe cliffs are rather steep on the south bound side with only a guard rail.:o:o There aren't many turn outs so you can easily get behind an RV and they are very slow on the road because of all the hairpin turns!

Ladies...I would be lost with out all of your great ideas and advice! Thanks so much. This is a terrific list.

I am taking notes on all your ideas and am getting very excited about the trip. Seems like there is something for everyone on this trip. My son wants to do the techy stuff, my daughter the nature and beachy stuff, my hubby the sights, baloon ride and the wine. Me, I just want to get outta town for a while. :)

A little more advice, please........................I found a go-kart track for my son and hubby...any one been there? It is called **K-1 Speed** in Torrance. With 20 hp electric motors, it sounds like their kind of fun. Also found Speed Zone in LA...???

Is this the right time for whale watching?

Lisa,

I can't answer your questions about the go-karts I am afraid. As far as whale watching, it certainly isn't peak whale watching season as they are not migrating at the moment, but there have been some whales off the S. Cal coast. The last few years there have been quite a few sightings of Blue whales. They are the largest mammal on earth I think. If is largely a matter of luck at this time of year. I think that the Humpbacks hang out around Monterey in the summer months. It rather depends on where their food source is hanging out. You would be almost certain to see dolphins and sea lions.

Sue

Marilyn,

Where in Marin did you live? I lived in Lucas Valley, went to TLHS, my DH grew up in Terra Linda but lived in Tiburon for the first few years. My parents still have their house in Lucas Valley that we moved to in 1963.

Did you know Shana lived in Novato?

Lisa, I can't help on the go-karts either, sorry. I still think you'll need a vacation from your vacation!:P:o

Archived