Quilting suggestions for Lone Star

One of my many darling SIL's has asked me to quilt this quilt for her church group. She is not a quilter, and needs to have the quilting ideas approved by the committee. I told her that I'd post it here and would get lots of wonderful ideas.

Since I'm not computer literate, I don't know how to draw on the photos, but I'm thinking of feathered wreaths in the background, CC's in the diamonds, and I don't know what in the borders. White thread for the background, haven't thought about what to use in the print fabrics.

Thank you in advance for your ideas, I'll be sending them on to Nancy.

post--13461906826737_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

I would most likely:

1. Feathered wreaths in the open white squares

2. Feathered triangles in the open white triangles

3 Perhaps a row of 8-pointed stars quilted across the top and bottom in those white spaces

4. Small dark green border - ribbon candy

5. Middle reddish border, some sort of echoed swirly thingy (technical term)

6. Outside border feathered - possibly with amish curling feathers to mimic the feathered wreaths.

7. Of course, CC in the star

White thread in the white areas. Print areas, try either baby poop green (and amazing blender) or a wheat/taupy color.

Linda

Will this be a raffle quilt to raise funds for the church? If it's yes, I would make it extra special by using a thin gold metallic--BL, Glide, or Metro--on all the printed fabric and the Lone Star diamonds.

If the diamonds are large enough, stitch a holly leaf in each one--start at the center and stitch out through each adjoining diamond. Stitch one side of the leaf, stitch back down the other side for the other half, and a straight line through for the vein. That will set you up for the next holly leaf in the next diamond.

If the diamonds are too small for that treatment, CC's would be beautiful.

The suggestions for the white areas are perfect--feathers are so nice on traditional piecing like this.

I imagine they want it done right away so they can sell tickets before Christmas? Can't wait to see what magic you work with this one!

Oh I like these ideas! Keep them coming! I think I'll print out the pictures and draw on them, then send them on for approval. I don't know if they are going to raffle or sell it to the highest bidder. My SIL already says that she wants it. Linda S. Could you give me a color # and style for "baby poop green" thread? I can also search my ever growing stash. I'm embarrassed to say I have nearly one color card from Superior filled up of colors I have in stock. The problem is that they keep coming up with new colors!

Beth,

I'm working on a Lone Star right now and I hit the search button, typed in Lone Star, hit pictures for the forum choice, and hit beginning for the thread search. Try it. You'll see some beautiful Lone Star quilts with stunning designs. I've placed all of them in my favorites so I can choose which designs to use when I finish my quilt.

What size are the background blocks in the corners of your quilt?

Beth, I think I have a picture of a Lone Star from Innovations a few years back that I took for inspiration. Many of the ideas are similar, but they did a CC in the diamonds with a little curly do-wah in the middle. It really added to the look and if Linda's leaves won't work, these might. I'm going to see if I can find it...

Archived