Please help!

I'm in the process of loading a very large flannel quilt. I have the top almost loaded, and realized that I did not measure the length of the quilt to see if both sides are the same, and now it appears that the left side is an inch or so longer than the right side. Can you give me some ideas of how to handle this?

I assume that first I need to unload the top. I don't really want to take the border off and fix it, but is this the best way to handle this?

Thanks much!

Mary T in Minnesota

Joyfully Stitching on my Millie

Hi Mary,

It is likely that the flannel quilt is the same length on both sides, even though they ended up uneven after rolling onto the machine. Flannel stretches, and so do regular quilts when loaded due to the multiple seams, etc. If you follow a few simple tips, your quilt should end up relatively even after quilted.

First, make sure the top edge is basted down evenly and squared. Then as you quilt and advance the fabric, check to make sure the new section of the quilt top that is exposed is straight -- use your hands to manipulate it straight (check the position of the seams from left to right -- you can usually tell if something is cockeyed). When you get down to about the last 12-18" of the quilt, take the bottom edge off the canvas leader. Use your hands to manipulate this bottom section of the quilt into being square and straight; then pin baste and quilt in place.

I hope that makes sense. It is a little hard to explain in words. Maybe someone else can help, too.

Flannel can be really stretchy some more than others. I'd do the same as Joan but instead of pinning at the end would run a basting stitch across as it works better for me than pinning to keep the bottom even. Same principal a little bit different method.

Just adjust as you go along to keep the straight piecing lines straight.

Get out your steam iron and use it to shrink in the extra fullness as you go. I've been working on a large Judy Niemeyer Celtic Wave quilt and had the iron on ALL DAY yesterday!

You'll be amazed at how much extra fullness you can shrink out with a bit of steam. Just be careful you don't put any pressure down or you'll stretch all 3 layers. I put on my extended base and just move the machine to where I need to steam. That base acts to stabilize the area. I've used both the Hartley Base and the Ruler Mate with no damage to either one.

This may not be the right way to steam but I had a real monster and didn't want to stretch the back so I took my ironing board and put it under the quilt so I wouldn't push down and stretch it. It really worked pretty good and that stupid quilt turned out great. Glad it's gone.

Archived