So, how do YOU schedule your customer quilts?

I just finished 6 quilts for one customer, now have 8 for another (6 small and 2 large), 2 more from the first customer, one to piece, and the first customer has more for me!!!!

I'm thrilled to have the business, now how do I schedule so I'm not overwhelmed... I know you all have systems... I'm not very fast, most of what I do is custom or semi custom.

HELP!

Well, for me, I finally figured out that I could do about 4 quilts a month -- IF they weren't all custom. So I try to allow for 4 each month, or maybe 1 custom and a couple of bread and butters. I mostly quilt in the evening and on weekends.

When folks call, I let them know my first opening is in XX month, after looking at my list and seeing how many I have lined up.

One of the things I've done to reduce my stress is, I don't have the customer bring me her quilt until the month it is scheduled. Looking at a lot of quilts stacking up and staring at me, gets me stressed out.

Mind you, this is my system -- but I have kids and a part time job, a hubby, a flock of chickens and well, a life! So sometimes it works, and sometimes I get behind. I try to be upfront with the customers if I do get behind, and usually they are very understanding, bless them!

I recently changed how I book quilts as I too was overwhelmed. I quilt full time, but it varies how much I can do depending on what is happening in our store. Now I put their name on a list and every month get out the calender (already filled out with other commitments) and slot in names. Then I give them a call and ask them to come in with their quilts. Now I am only looking at one month at a time and am not promising something I cannot deliver on (which stresses me a lot). Just started this so we will see how it works....

I sort-of do it in my head and then write it down. It all depends on the type of quilting. With my IQ, I can probably do 4-5 all-overs in a week. I could do more but I'm retired and like to feel like I am every now and then. If it's a custom job, it gets a week of its own. If it's a high-end custom job it might get two weeks. I plot them out on a calendar and then I know where I have space.

Bobbi,

I don't take any quilts until I'm about 2 weeks out from starting them. I keep a log of the person's name, phone number and estimate when I will be ready to take their quilt. I keep notes on what type of quilting they want and what size the quilt is. I generally book 1 week for e2e and 2 wks for custom. If I know it will be heirloom then I book accordingly. I try to get as much info as I can upfront. Then I can easily set aside weeks of my time. This method has worked out well and I've only ever once had a customer not bring me her quilt because she had somebody else do it. I'm pretty good at estimating time. I call them if I get off track. I've also learned to give myself a buffer built in so that if something comes up I can deal with it and not feel stressed because I couldn't get to a quilt.

I don't take a quilt in until I'm ready to quilt it. I have let my customers know there is at least a 4-8 week waiting period and I will contact them as soon their quilt comes up on the list. This Monday I ended up calling the next three people and none of them had their tops ready. Was able to contact the next lady who has a very unique quilt top and had a deadline of 11/25 to get it done. I'm picking that up today and she's really happy it's getting done so soon. The others are going to call me when their quilts are ready. Will be interesting because I have this feeling - I'm going to get three custom quilts next week.

Is it because we are all "care takers" at heart and want everyone happy?

One long-arming buddy has been dealing with breast cancer. This is a woman who works full-time and would stay up until 5:00 a.m. working on customer quilts, work all weekends, etc. She had a super Ah Ha moment with her diagnosis. She will get the quilts done as she can, the quilters will have to be patient. She WILL go camping with hubby, spend time with girlfriends, and live life to it's fullest. I got a good smack on the back of my head with her sharing this.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Where I live, if I don't let the customer bring it to me when they call, I ALWAYS lose it. There are so many longarmers in this area that if you don't accept it when the call comes in, they find someone else every time. We are pretty saturated. Believe it or not, I've heard stories about people who have had their quilts at the longarmer for a year.

I do this full time as my business but also do t-shirt quilts, plus it seems like someone always has sometime else for me to do (like little sewing things!).

I know what I can do and how long it takes me to do them. When people call me I do work around their schedule and mine to get their quilt in. I alwways tell them when I expect to get to it (sometimes as little as within a week - sometimes a month) It depends what I have on my frame at the time (for example custom quilts hold up my frame for a bit - anywhere from a week or more). I'm honest with people and have been good as estimating times to quilt and have them done. Granted there are times when "things" come up - not just with quilts but with my family. I have 4 children ages 11-18 in sports all year round (need I say more?) My family always comes first and so I have managed to work what I love to do around our crazy schedules and people understand that.

I have given out other long armers names if I can't do what someone wants done or wants their quilt at a certain time and it has worked out.

You have to do what works for you without stressing yourself out. I always say that I love what I do but if it ever becomes a job that I don't enjoy - then I'll quit, but I don't see that happening anytime soon!

Good luck!:):D;)

When I first got started I just took quilts as they came and did them in order. First come, first serve mentality. However, the custom quilts take so much time and I just don't make the $$/hour I need to make a living if all I'm doing is custom.

Of course, custom quilting is what builds your reputation and word of mouth. That is an important point to keep in mind.

For me, I've started reserving 3 spots for custom a month. Now when people call I'll tell them I can do edge to edge for them with a 3-4 week turn over or I'd be happy to do custom quilting on their top but my next available opening is (insert month here).

I also increased my rate for custom quilting. I tracked the hours it took to get a custom quilt done and it was a bit eye opening. That's why I increased my fee. If they balk at the price, well, I know they aren't my customer and that's totally okay. I don't have to quilt everything that crosses my path. If they can find a quilter they like who will do custom work at a cheap price then they should use that person. However, I've had more than one customer come to me with something they've had quilted elsewhere to ask me to requilt it because they were unhappy with the result.

HTH!

I take them as I get them...usually. Most of my customers tell me when they need their quilt done, and seem to be very honest to say they don't need it right away because it is "just for them." Others will say they need it for a Christmas gift or whatever date. If I know I can meet the deadline for a quilt already accepted I may move a new request in front if that person needs it sooner for a shower, etc. But, since it is my business, I feel I can juggle the quilts to please as many customers as I can. I may have to refer a customer to another quilter if I know I can't juggle the schedule to fit them in on their timetable.

Archived