Flanged binding ??

I don't know if "flanged" is the correct term. I'm needing to find out how, once all the quilting is done, to take the backing - fold it underneath the quilt top and stitch all down together to finish the quilt. The quilt top I just got has a finished folded edge on the top. It would look much better than putting on a binding.

My initial thinking - do a seam 1.5" to 2" from the outside edge of the quilt top, stitching the top/batting/backing together. After quilting is all done, figure out how to fold/iron the backing over the batting, underneath the quilt top and then do a seam 1/4" from the top edge. Make sense?

Any help out there!!

Much thanks.

Laura,

If I'm understanding you right, you basically don't want to cut off the backing after it is quilted, but fold it up and over onto the quilt top edge and machine quilt it down. I have done that and it works fine. I'm not sure what you meant by 'the quilt top has a folded edge already.' Do you mean the quilter applied a flange/flap to the edge, and then you would fold the back up and over onto the flange seam allowance and sew the binding down next to the flange? That is probably what you meant. I think it sounds like it would work.

I think she means a "knife edged" finished seam. If the top has the edge folded to the inside as a finished edge, then you need to do the same with the backing but make sure that the backing covers over the batting, then either stitch 1/4 inch from the edges, and leave it or hand stitch the two pressed edges closed (like you would the opening of a pillowcase style quilt) so the edges stay together and don't open after washing.

If I was doing this method, I think I would do a quilting border treatment that doesn't go all the way to the edge, but would have about an inch free at the edge so you could tuck the backing in far enough under the top to be sure to catch it well and have everything smooth.

I think somewhere on the internet is a video of how to do this edge. I think that is where I got the knife edge term.

Envelope binding - that's it! This quilt was made 30 years ago and the the outside 6" border is completely finished top/bottom and was stitched to the main pieced quilt. But...having asked the above question yesterday - per customer request I'm still going to add binding strips. I'll post pix of quilt once it's done. Thanks for the help - this was a new one for me.

Archived