Cube Illusion Quilt - large background area

I have a quilt that is 96 x 108, the center is very similar to Celebration by Karen Combs. I will be ditching the 9-Patch tumbling blocks. Looking for something for the large background of the quilt. She was thinking something that radiates from the corners. If I did lines I'd need to advance the quilt, roll back for each line - the background is that large and I'd worry about any wobbles that way. So I'm looking for ideas for the background. If anyone has done one of these or has any suggestions please chime in. Thanks so much.

To keep the optical illusion as the focal point (and I'm trying to un-cross my eyes after investigating the options for the background!:D) I think SIDing the major components is a perfect idea. Then the background can be filled with a non-distracting, medium density freehand design in a thread to match. That will make the diamonds pop and the background recede. That will be a lot of mindless stitching on a quilt as big as this one, but will honor the time and skill of the piecer and keep the Op-Art illusion intact. Those "ghostly" outer blocks in the paler colors will then become more a part of the main design. If there is an outer border like in the photo, you can fancy that up with a distinct design to set it apart and let you play a bit. Wool batting will help with the illusion as well.

Okay - it's done - but I was under the gun and did not take pics. The customer is going to send me some once it's hanging in the show. I did SID the cubes. On the background I did vertical lines from the cube edge to the border on the top and bottom, on the sides I did horizontal lines from the border to the cube. for the remaining, the corners, I had the line just ran it so it looked like a herring bone going into the cube. The affect was that the cubes jumped up off the quilt. With the horizontal and vertical lines, which did not follow the cube angles, coming into the center it popped the cubes. Amazing. Loving it and now can't wait for the photos. Kept the border s simple ribbon meander as the quilt was very bright and fun. With channel locks those lines were perfect and ohhhh so easy to do.

Archived