help with batting choice

I have a throw size quilt that my customer plans to use as a wall hanging. She wants it heavily quilted, and the background is a light color which will show the quilting well. I have on hand Quilter's Dream Select. Is this a decent choice for batting if I want good stitch definition, a bit of puff in some areas, but quilted quite flat in others.... or would you not recommend it for a wall hanging? What about QD Deluxe? Or, am I stuck using cotton with a layer of poly over it?

Thanks.

I think it would look fine with the QD select, but agree with Meg that you would get more stitch definition with adding a top layer of wool. The QD wool is fairly thick -- if you can get ahold of Hobbs wool, it is much thinner and would be easier to work with, in my opinion. I have QD Deluxe. It would work to give you the definition, but it is very thick, so the wallhanging would be heavy. I like to use Deluxe for baby quilts for the floor, because it is so thick.

Originally posted by Primitive1

Let me pipe in and ask also.....if I am planning to use wool on a large quilt that will hopefully be hanging in a show, should I also use a stablizing QD behind the wool or would the wool be enough for it to hang properly without sagging?

Vicki - I always put a stabilizing QD poly behind it. If it is not going on a bed at all then I use the supreme. If it is going on a bed I do the lightest I can use without problems.

Archived