CROSSHATCHING HELP

annlittle1

I'm working on a quilt for a new customer. It is very well pieced. She wants the ten inch borders crosshatched on the diagonal. I've stitched 3/4s of it going one direction and then picked it all out. I've marked every line for the first direction on the quilt and restitched it. Many lines I've picked out again and again. I did find that I do better with a small ruler in my hand than trying to use a long ruler. I've done crosshatching on smaller borders and not had any problems so didn't anticipate this would be a problem either. I've spent over eight hours on this and I'm still not happy with the first pass. Anybody have an easy way to accurately do diagonal crosshatching?

Thanks for your help! Oh, I've tried searching the archives already and didn't find anything.

Phyllis Hughes

Liberty

Oklahoma City

Thanks for the info, Linda. However, before I received your U2U I went searching for a gadget that might help. I checked with Circle Lord and sure enough I found that they have exactly what I need. I ordered it this afternoon and Michael promised to ship it today. I received the shipping notice this afternoon. I should have it on Monday. I use my Circle Lord frequently and am always pleased with it. I should have thought about it before I got so frustrated. Just wish I had all the templates.

No connection to Circle Lord, just a happy customer.

Thanks again,

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Dear Phyllis,

I have received my Circle Lord just yesterday, and will try it out tomorrow afternoon. If you have any equipment for making crosshatches, please let me know, also how things are working when you are making them with the Circle Lord. I would like to make crosshatches too, so any information about how to do this is welcome.

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

I've done quite a bit of crosshatching, but carefully mark it first. It's hard to get the distance between the rows correct without the marks and because the quilts are flexible, the rows can wiggle. I usually line the crosshatching up with the border and blocks, use a 45 degree ruler to mark, then a regular one for the stitching. The long ruler provided by Gammill is a disaster (in my opinion).

I have recently bought some plastic 1" and 1/2" crosshatching templates, also hanging diamonds.

The biggest problem that I have had is that the diagonals change angle unless you are VERY careful.

The new gadgets cound wonderful-have heard that the Hartley Fence is great for this. Unfortunately, it's not in my budget.

Good Luck!

Sue

Vicki,

Thank you for posting the Circle Lord website.

I just want to mention that these templates are mounted

on the Circle Lord platform that clamps to the backbed of

the Long arm machine. Because they are firmly held in place

by the CL you have no problem of the pattern wandering.

It is a very controllable. The time you save by using

the Circle Lord is money in your pocket.

Cheers,

Michael

The CLCrosshatching Template arrived yesterday so I set it up last night so I could start this morning.

With the second row I discovered that the template was shifting on the CL. No matter how much I tightened it down it still shifted so I took it off of the CL and laid it down on the table. I tried to put Invisigrip on the back to keep it from shifting, but the Invisigrip wouldn't stick to it. I used double sided tape to attach the Invisigrip to the back of the template. That kept it from shifting on the table. I laid down a strip of blue tape about four inches from the back edge of the table and used it to line up the template each time I had to move it. Since I am doing a two inch crosshatch I could only make four or five lines before I had to move the template. I had to make a second pass going the opposite direction to get the crosshatch.

I spent about six hours doing the first border. It looks great. The lines are straight and the angles are consistent. The template was much better than trying to use rulers and marking it, but, I think that if I ever do another crosshatch longer than five inches I'm going to charge an extra fee. It is just too time consuming to do without an extra fee.

Sylvia, I hope this information helps. Crosshatching makes a beautiful treatment for a quilt, but it does take extra time.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Archived