Stitching on older "used" fabric

I need advice from some experienced quilters. A customer just left me a lone star quilt that is a mixture of old and new fabrics. She took a quilt with great sentimental value that was in tatters and carefully removed the lone star medallion from the center. The materials were not the highest quality to begin with and are greatly sun faded. There is no rotting that is visible, but all the signs say the fabrics are somewhat damaged.

To stablilize the lone star, the customer quilted it onto batting (no backing), and then added setting squares and triangles and a couple of borders. When I sandwich up the quilt, the lone star portion will actually have double batting.

So my question is whether it is a good idea to even stitch through any of the lone star. My first thought was to stitch in the ditch around the star then quilt all the new parts. Then she could hand quilt the inner portion of the lone star and not subject it to the stresses of an industrial machine.

Or am I being too careful? Should I quilt it all!

The woman has never quilted before and really came up with a clever idea to stabilize the older fabric. This is simply a quilt that needs TLC.

What do you think?

Linda Kahlbaugh

Wow--great question. You have thought it all through and already see the problems.

I would maybe contact a textile conservation expert--most universities will have someone you can contact through email with questions. Or find a textile conservation website with a forum and ask your questions.

If you want to quilt either SID or inside the diamonds of the old fabric, covering that area with organza before quilting is a common conservationists solution. That encases all the fabric, protects weak or worn spots, and if there is a hole, will keep the batting in place. Patty Jo did this on an old top and she saved it for the family to enjoy--maybe she will chime in here with advice. Audition several colors of organza--white, cream, tan, navy, black--to see which works best for the colors, if you want to take that route.

What a fun job to see this treasure saved for a family!

Originally posted by LindaLou

Linda,

So if I understand you correctly, you'd use the longarm to stitch through the millenium?

Linda Kahlbaugh

Yes, if you layer the organza you can quilt over the top with your longarm. The sheer fabric will alter the colors a bit, but it is amazingly transparent.

Archived