Do you get Quilt Depression? - you won't BELIEVE THIS!

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

Well, I've emailed the client and asked her to let me know what she wants me to do, as there isn't enough backing to steal from any side of the quilt. The batting is do-able. I've unzipped it from the frame and I'm going to play with my IQ this afternoon!!

Linda I do get quilt depression. And in the last month I have sent two quilts back to their owners unquilted. Both cases the quilts were just at the max. quilting I could do. So aftraid that the quilt top would shift and I wouldn't be able to quilt the first or last inch of the row. Both ladies came from the same guild....who had recently had a LA'er give a presentation that the quilting process could shrink their quilt 6 to 12 inches. Both ladies then added an additional 6 inches all the way around the quilt to make up for that shrinkage....of course when they called me they didn't give me those dimensions.

I have found that I am much better off listening to my inner voice in the first place, than trying to fight thru quilting a quilt.

When you play today, make sure to have fun!

I hate it when that happens!

I have actually left the quilt on the frame and added an extra piece from underneath.

From the top of of the backing, you have to carefully pin the extra piece underneath, right sides together, as near as you can to the bottom of the backing. (start with a big piece!) Then I take the top of that 'flap' of fabric and either pin it to the existing backing underneath or tape it just to keep it out of the way. I then seam the two pieces together by locking the channel lock and sewing across the bottom where you pinned it, being careful of the pins.

Now remove the existing stitches or pins from the bottom, unfold the new piece, trim the seam (because it will be bigger than normal and probably a little wonky. (I like that word), and then reload the bottom as straight as you can. This is why you want to use more fabric than you think you need.

Clear as mud, right?

I've been successful with this method several times.

Guest Linda S

I know how to add backing to it -- there's just nothing to add! Hopefully, she'll either have more fabric or give me permission to just add some muslin or something.

Have her supply you with a co-ordinating fabric...maybe something she used on the front of the quilt. She can use that area as her label if she chooses a plain fabric that writing will show up on. It looks fine when its done, and might even look intentional. You can do the same thing..except piece it in up from the edge a bit.. more sewing and measuring but if she doesn't have any more of the fabric, it won't look so much like a "mistake."

Guest Linda S

She emailed today to say she had forgotten that she just kept adding rows and forgot about having enough backing. Hmmm - maybe if she had forgotten, I could have lopped off that last row, and she wouldn't have noticed? :P Well, she's supposed to get more fabric and then bring it when she's got it. In the meanwhile, her quilt is folded on my cutting table.

Linda I feel your pain!! Some quilts are just determined to be a pita to the bitter end. I have one on my frame right now. I think this time of year is a magnet for pitas with the holiday hustle and all. Funny, this one is a log cabin too. I'm gonna be like Larry the cable guy and just get'er done. Then I will be putting on yet another Alpine wonder, I have done so many of these I can do them with my eyes closed. No depression here, just a boring patch of putting one stitch in front of the other until something more exciting comes along. There is light at the end of the tunnel for me. My next 3 bookings are show quilts for the spring shows and they are YUMMY.

Archived