Aurifil Quilting Thread/Batiks

I have used Aurifil thread with George. I used 40 wt., (the green spool) the 50 wt (orange spool) was just a bit too lightweight to handle the thread path for me. I would use the Aurifil again on a quilt. I don't have any particulars about quilting on batiks. I have quilted a couple of them and had no problems at all. They weren't with Aurifil on those particular quilts, though.

I have used Aurifil a lot. The best combination is 40wt. top and bottom. I also have 28wt. for use on the top when I want a thicker look, and use 40wt. on the bottom with it also. I have also used Bottom Line pre-wounds with Aurifil 28wt and 40wt on top.

As far as quilting on batiks goes, I have no problem with it. I think the main challenge is that it is a thinner fabric, so you need to be more careful about making sure your top and bottom thread meet within the quilt sandwich, and not towards the back, which may result in pokies.

I actually quilt with aurifil 50 wt. on top and bottom quite often. I have used it on batik quilts. It is my go to cotton thread for dense custom quilting. I have several customers that are cotton purists and don't like the look of thick thread. I love that I don't have to slow down when I use it.

Archived