Crystals - what do you use to attach them to a quilt?

Same as Francine, I use an iron made to fix the crystals. You can probably get one at Hobby Lobby or Joann's, similar to the ones shown on this web page.

http://www.kandicorp.com/HotFix-Applicator-Comparison.asp

I believe the Swarovski crystals are the best and you can purchase them pre-glued, the iron melts the glue when you fix the crystal to the item. Plastic crystals can melt when applied with the iron. Have fun!

Guest Linda S

I have the professional model tool from Kandicorp. It's important to have the right tool, as they crystals have to get very hot so that they will stay stuck. If you have the tip for your appropriate-sized crystal, you can pick up the crystal with the tip, wait for the glue to become gooey, and then plunk the crystal down on the quilt where you want it. I generally use the tip of a stiletto, a heavy straight pin, or a seam ripper to make certain the crystal comes out of the tip right where I want it to. If you simply put a hot tool down on the crystal on the quilt and hold it there, you risk burning your quilt, especially if you add the crystals near a trapuntoed piece. There are many types of crystals available now. Keep in mind that, if you are going to put any on clothes for children, you should use the low-lead crystals.

Just a little note, if you're new to the crystal world. If you're going to use the iron on application be sure that the crystals have "hot fix" on the label or you may end up with the "glue on". I do agree that the "hot fix" are best, they stay on, even if the quilt will be washed. I have t-shirts that wore out before the crystals. I get my crystals from Sue's Sparkles" but there's several good sources out there in webland.

Archived