Hi Julie

If you have a lot to 'frog' try 'skinning' instead!........

I unzip the bottom edge of the quilt and the backing and pull them and the batting out over the quilt top bar. Then I lift the quilt top and batting and carefully cut/release the threads between them and the backing with a small rotary cutter. Sounds dangerous but works well and is quicker than frogging for a large area - if it HAS to be frogged!

No, you probably won't avoid it. From time to time it is just necessary. I just "skinned" a quilt. I had done a border and several blocks and then deciided I didn't like what I was doing so.... Skinning is faster but still not how I want to spend my time. My lesson learned - If you don't think you like what you're quilting STOP. :)

Originally posted by springert

Just spent three days frogging quilt. So disappointed when I picked it up. Had two large pleats on back and a couple of little ones on the front. Guess it was good use of time as am down with crud caught from granddaughter.

I have a big ol' clanging bell sounding in my ear! I read you were "disappointed when you picked it up". Did you pay someone to quilt it and it had those pleats? Please tell me you didn't pay for the quilting and then frog the whole thing!! I'm shuddering thinking about it!:o:o:o

Did not pay for quilt, picked it up from quilter who offered 25% discount, Replied very unhappy about outcome, mutual agreement for me not to pay, but I did the frogging. I have looked this quilt top over, lays flat so really do not understand problem. So, Since I finally took the plunge and my new Lucy has arrived, will re-quilt it myself and hope that all the holes will disappear. Need lots of practice before that will happen though.

Newbie in Texas

Well, I'm heaving a sigh of relief. Your quilter shows integrity and you show backbone! Not the best outcome, but all-around a fair solution.

Now you have experience in frogging and can see how a quilter needs to be alert for problems all through the process. If she had found the pleats early she could have fixed them.

You're on your way!! Good luck and good tension as you start your quilting life!

I'm Ok with things now, but was upset as was Christmas for Granddaughter, but gave her a big new tricycle instead and she gave me something tacky- going on the fifth day. I really enjoy reading all the posts from the many experienced and new quilters out there. I am sure that they will be extremely helpful as I begin my new life quilting. Was previously a topper and a Sp Ed teacher for many years. Thanks all for being out there...

Tanya, a newbie in Texas

Archived