fabric frays

Guest Linda S

Sizing does help. I generally don't worry too much about stray threads till I'm all done piecing, as they keep coming. I am meticulous about trimming the sewing threads as I go. When I finish a top and am pressing it, I flip it over and trim the frays. That seems to keep the volume down.

sizing will help, but cutting a fabric 'true-to-grain' will be the biggest factor in fraying fabric.

press your fabric giving a light 'dusting' of spray starch/sizing making sure to press out the bolt fold. hold the fabric with selvages together in front of you with the fold at the bottom. slide one layer of the selvage end til the fabric hangs perfectly straight with no wompies, puckers, or dents. this takes some practice developing an eye for it hanging straight, but oh so worth it! : that is the straight of grain. carefully lay on your cutting mat and using a ruler square up the one edge using the folded end as a foundation. i was shown this trick by a fellow quilter and was amazed the difference in my piecing. fabric 'behaved' better in the block and was easier to press....

it won't help all fraying, but it does make a difference, i think

JMHO

Archived