How to hang quilt...

Sally Hosp

My new house has a huge stairwell that needs a quilt! Any thoughts or expert advice how to create a system so quilts can be easily suspended and yet easily changed? I can hang up to a queen size quilt but need to make sure it doesn't sag and looks professional. Thanks for any ideas all you wise women can share:D

Sally Hosp

APQS Millie

Colorado Springs, CO

I have used Pottery Barn curtain rod w/rings that have the clips on them.....then you dont need to add the hanging sleeve in case you ever use the quilt on a bed...and you can change quilts for the season/whatever at will. I really like the look. I used the antique brass because thats what looks good in my house....I will see if I have a picture and will post it if I can

Guest Linda S

One of my favorite ways to hang a quilt is invisibly. Marty and his wife make these hangers right here in Oregon. They come with a little level, just to make sure you get them straight, and have the removable stick-um things to hold the quilt up. The Houston Quilt Fest uses these to hang their quilts.

http://www.hangupscompany.com/

Linda

Alex Anderson had a nice way to hang quilts today on Simply Quilts. You might check the web site and see if they posted pictures. I think with that method you could hand a large quilt and have picture hangers on the back of the quilt in studs so that it would not sag and would be stable. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Okay, lets see if this works....

Alex Tip: Quilt Hanging Pocket

Simply Quilts : Episode QLT-1139 -- More Projects ?

Here's an inexpensive way to display quilted wall hangings.

Make a split-sleeve (two-pieces) hanging pocket to produce a center opening.

Cut a wood piece to the width of the quilt and attach a saw-tooth picture hanger in the center.

Insert the wood piece through the pocket and have the picture hanger exposed in the center of the pocket opening.

This is great idea when presenting the piece as a gift.

There is a picture on the web site - if that helps.

Thank you for the ideas. The curtain rod and split sleeve are certainly options but DH doesn't want the hassle of using a ladder in a very tall stairwell when I want to change the quilt. We are not talking small wall hangings. He's off to Home Depot to engineer some sort of pulley system. I was in hopes you could save us the painful design process:(

Thanks again for all the good info.

Sally Hosp

• 4 weeks later...

Sally:

What did you DH finally "design"? Did you resolve the issue with hanging your quilts? I'm intrigued! I will have that problem once we move to our new home. I'm looking for inspiration also and I definitely cannot put my DH on a ladder and I don't want to get up there either!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Look forward to your response.

My DH rigged a pulley system in my studio using a one-by-four

with two eye bolts;

Two more eye bolts were screwed into the ceiling into the

rafters and a soft nylon rope was knotted to the board and

threaded through the ceiling eye bolts. The two lengths of

rope are then pulled to raise the board and they are tied off

to a hook on the side wall. I use clamps on the board to hold

the tops for photos and presentation to my customers.

I'm sure a more elegant system could be figured out--with

decorative rods and a hanging sleeve and maybe black

cording--to hang in a stairwell or tall wall. You may need

someone to do the initial placement at the ceiling--maybe a

local handyman or Hire-a Hubby so no one goes up the tall

ladder!!

This system is nice for changing out quilts because you

control the hanging height with the pulley and you aren't

limited by a stationary hanging bracket. I'll see if I can find a

photo to post. Hope this helps!

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

I have been using the same system described by Alex Anderson with the split sleeve. Not sure how I came up with it but I started doing this a few years ago. Each quilt has it own wooden hanger thru the sleeve and hangs on one hook. They are very easy to switch out.

To make the bottom hang nice a straigt you can also add a sleeve along it and have a wooden piece in there as well to make it all hang flat.

Someone mentioned the sleeve on the bed quilt. Once I enter a quilt in a show it gets a sleeve and the sleeve just stays on there. The quilt on my bed has a sleeve (not split though because I made it before I came up with that................easy fix though if I want to split it) and it has never bothered me to have the sleeve there.

Linda:

I'm wondering if piping could be used instead of the 1X4? A length of cord could be run through the pipe with loops on either end (to help stablize the pipe) and hooks could maybe hold the pipe instead of eye bolts??? I don't know. Does the 1X4 show very much?

I'm thinking PVC pipe is not sturdy enough -- it had a tendancy to bend -- but metal piping might work -- but, obviously, not copper pipe!!! he he he

Okay, it's late. Best of luck, Ladies.

Hi Donna--

You certainly can use anything as the "rod" that will support the top.

A decorative curtain rod is a good choice and instead of eye bolts, a

decorative cord can be knotted at each end. My set-up is utilitarian and

makes it easy to hang tops for think-time or display for the customer pick-

up. You will still need eye bolts at the ceiling--or you can find brass pulleys

at a marine supply store. Those would be more decorative. The nice thing

about the system is you can lower and change out easily and also you can

use different lengths of rods to match the width of the top.

A happy and healthy New Year to all!!

Linda Rech

Archived