setting up machine & table in an enclosed patio

I know that it is not the best situation to set ones machine and table in a enclosed patio. But there is no where else to set up. Our weather in the winter - nights 20 degrees - days 40-65 degrees. The head is still on my buffet and the table is still boxed up on the enclosed patio. My husband fell and got hurt so we havent set anything up. Any suggestions?

My basement is about 65 degrees when no one is down there. When getting ready to sew I turn the heat on in the area up to 70 or so. Let it warm for several hours, Then take off. As long as its totally enclosed not damp where the leaders will get and stay wet I wouldn't see a problem. Just be sure to heat the area up and let the machine also get warmer before turning it in. Cold doesn't hurt it I've been told, just need to heat till all is warm again before using.

I asked Mark basically the same question moving from dry CA to damp WA and quilting in (what was then to be) a yurt and instead has become an enclosed studio in the garage. His response: neither the damp nor the cold will hurt the machine. Warm it up first by turning it on and letting it run at a slow speed to get things moving--sort of like warming up your car. After that, you're good to go.

Bonnie's advice about the leaders getting damp is important. Those would be affected if they got damp/wet and stayed that way.

Hope your husband is feeling better!

I am also set up in a 18 x 25 foot enclosed patio. I have 2 space heaters that I turn on as soon as I get up (about 5 am.) and when the sun comes up, it's nice and toasty warm. I used to be set up in the garage but I got tired of freezing my butt off in the winter so we moved me inside.

Archived