tell me about warming up the LA before quilting

Marsha,

The "warm up" helps the circuitry work properly. It doesn't need to be long--just 5 minutes or so. Move the machine off your quilt, remove the thread from the needle and bobbin, and then turn the machine on in manual mode at a low-medium speed. Allow it to run for that period and then go ahead and re-thread and have fun!

If the machine is stored in a location that gets cold (such as a garage or utility room) then extend the warm up time to around 10 minutes or so.

Hope that helps!

Shirley: The warm up isn't really necessary on the older machines without all the electronics. The motors on the stitch regulated machines are very precise (I think technically they are "stepping" motors) and need to be in a temp range to operate the way they were designed. That range is higher than room temp. The motor on the Ult2 is simply a universal motor that is minimally affected by temp.

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with your new purchase. Regards. Jim, Ult2 w I/S Turbo, M hook, electronic channel lock, and now BobbinCam

Originally posted by buslady

Does this apply the the Ult II, too? I practiced on it today, and it is love at first stitch.

Yes, actually I would warm up my ULT II (which i had for 13 yrs) machine up if the room was colder than 70 degrees if it was colder than that I would warm up for 5-10 minutes. You can hear when it gets warm after you've been around it for awhile. You get to know all the different noises they make. If the room was warmer than that it all depended if I got lazy or not.

Archived