ULT II timing

Shirley: After you check the needle plate, check your hook. You may have scratched it when the needle broke. Feel with your finger, the outside edge of the hook. If you feel a scratch, use some fine emory cloth or an emory board, and polish off the raised edge of the scratch. A scratch on the hook will cause thread breakage.

Check the timing of your machine. The skipped stitches suggests that it is a timing problem. Pay special attention to the needle bar height (make sure the eye of the needle is at the proper elevation when the needle bar is all the way down). Breaking the needle could have pushed the bar up in it's clamp.

Good luck. Jim

Jim, I am waiting for my son to get here to help me. I don't see so good anymore. 72 is old to start learning a new machine, but I know I will make it.

I have printed off everything you have written me, so hopefully everything will go okay.

I have the Sally Terry tapes, and I have watched them. I am not sure about the needle bar though. I watched the timing on the Innova, and it looks like the needle bar is okay. It will sew a straight line, but when I make a slight left turn, it will not pick up the thread, or will break it.(This is from the front side of the machine)

Bonnie, I am keeping your number handy.

Shirley: Do you have the timing instructions that originally came with the machine? I have mine, along with 3 excellent photos of properly timed hook/needle.

If you're using the instructions from an Innova, keep in mind that the Innova uses an "M" size hook, while your Ultimate 2 uses an "L" size hook, and the position of the needle eye as relates the hook basket is a bit different. (ask me how I know!) With the "M" hook you can barely see the eye of the needle below the bobbin case basket edge, while with the "L", the eye is to be about 1/32" to 1/16" below the basket edge.

The needle bar height adjustment is inside the sewing head. There is a hole in the front of the machine, above the light bar, that lets you access the clamp screw with a screw driver. To adjust the needle bar height, remove the cover on the left side (when you are at the front of the machine). This will allow you to see the mechanism, making loosening the clamp screw and pushing the bar up or down ( down if the bar was pushed out of place) easier. Before you get involved with this, make sure the bar needs to be adjusted. That's to say make sure there are no burs on the needle plate, or on the hook assembly. Also make sure you understand how to sight the needle relationship to the hook basket. (there's a line drawing of the sight relationship in my owners manual) The adjustment isn't difficult, but there's no sense getting into it unless you need to. BTW, when you loosen the needle bar clamping screw, you can rotate the needle bar, so if you want to change the position of the needle clamp screw you can. (I rotated mine from the left to the front, and replaced the slot headed screw with an allen screw because I feel it's easier to work that way)

Good luck. Post if you need any additional info. Regards. Jim

Well, we are back up and working properly(I think). Buddy found several burrs that I did not see. It was out of time. It will sew and it makes a good stitch. Jim, if you would share your photos, it would be appreciated.

I do not think I will ever be comfortable timing this machine, but this is one time I can say, thank God for kids.

Thank you all for your help. I am printing off all the information on the Ult II that I can find, including any and all email, and forum talk from you all.

Thanks again. Shirley

Shirley: The photos I have came with my owners manual. Perhaps Dawn can get a set from the factory. If not, send your street address to my e-mail (jimatthelake903@yahoo.com), and I'll send you the set I have. (I feel pretty comfortable with my timing knowledge, and can probably get along without them)

Regards. Jim

That is a big yes. This is the first time I have ever had a machine out of time. I do hope it is the last.

I started helping my mom quilt when I was about ten years old. She had a quilting frame hung from the ceiling, and we quilted every nite after school. I loved my mom but swore I would never quilt again when I left home. I got married at 18, got a treadle machine, and I have been sewing ever since.

This Ult II is really something to be proud of. Mom would be so amazed at what I can do in so little time. Enough rambling. Shirley

Archived