Question from another thread

On a different thread a number of the ladies said they "pin the heck" out of the quilt before beginning the stitching.

How do you quilt with pins everywhere? Dont you hit pins and break needles? among other things.

I have pinned the left and right edges so they stay straight but even then I have to really watch it when I get close to the pins.

Thanks

Bobbi

As with your DSM, it isn't advisable to stitch over pins. Just remove them as you come to them. If you are concerned about hitting pins on the edges, that is where you can first pin and then tack-baste and remove the pins to keep the borders where they need to be.

When I have made sure the quilt is square on the frame, I pin (almost always horizontally) just above the first border seam and then the top edge of the top. I use a lot of pins. I have used more than three-fourths of my bowl of 500 pins many times. I pin especially when there is fullness or if a seam is wandering off line. This is how I tame a quilt to keep it square and deal with problems with piecing.

I've starting using the Bohin glass head pins, 100 in a pack 1 7/8" long and .8mm wide, they don't bend when you push them through a thick area of the quilt and the heads are smaller than the yellow glass head pins.

Don't melt if you have to steam on top of them either.

I do have some 2 1/2" corsage pins but only use them to pin close to the take up roller so that the batting and quilt at the bottom aren't pulled in with the quilting.

Clover flower head pins, recommended by Dawn. There are at least two types, and this shows the ones Dawn recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Flower-Head-Pins-Boxed/dp/B001K58PHO

I've had several hundred on the quilt to hold down areas while working through it. They roll and don't often bend. I don't recommend it, but my Millie will stitch right through those flowers. :D

Archived