Check your motor brushes

I know that you are supposed to check the motor brushes once a year, and that when you call for service they generally ask you if you have checked the brushes.

I noticed that my machine (turning 4 this month) was running a little loud in the last couple of weeks.

Unrelated, while showing a customer how to check the motor brushes, I determined that mine needed changing.

Well, when I replaced my motor brushes, I found that my machine is now runninf much quieter and just like a new machine.

Anyway, I don't think I've heard this anywhere, but if your machine is making more noise up top, check your motor brushes.......

Donna

Instructions should be in the manual. The screws that you remove are attached to springs and then the small bricks of compressed carbon are the brushes. I think it's recommended to blow out the brush areas during the process. Make sure you cover the surrounding area when you do this as the granulated carbon is messy. While you're at it, and if it pertains to you, check the brushes in the fabric advance motor too.

I went 5 years without replacing the brushes and I have a spare set for next time. (Thanks, Barb!)

Great idea, I checked mine last April after I got home from MQX and had taken Amy's maint class and mine looked fine but my machine is suddenly starting to sound louder and I don't know why...think I'll take a look under the hood and check everything again....I repacked the grease last year too in the gear area. This was a great class!

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

I did check my brushes in the machine but have no idea how to check them in the advance.

The brushes in the fabric advance motor are behind the two screws on the outside of the motor casing--opposite each other and easy to see. Make sure you put them back exactly as you removed them if they aren't worn.

Archived