Panto problem

I am currently working on a panto that has three lines that cross over at the same point. I find that every so often I am off just a tiny bit and end up with a tiny triangle. Does any one have any suggestions so that this does not happen so often? I hate unpicking.... croak, croak.

Libby

I think you are saying that you cross the line where you need to going the right direction but then you have a tiny triangle because you are not right on the same line all three times. It sounds to me like it is a design feature of the pantograph that needs you to be exactly on the line each time you get to this place.

I am certainly not an expert but what helps me with keeping on my lines better is to look where I am going not where I am. In other words aim ahead and see that place and move right to it. For me I have noticed that the more pantographs I do the better they get so I will just have to say that practice will help you get there as well.

Maybe someone more experienced will give you some other tips.

I think one thing to remember is that you are hand quiding the machine. Not everything is going to be perfect...we are not computers or robots. If the triangle is SO small that it is not offensive to eye, blends in with the quilt and there are several other triangles...you might want to consider leaving it and not frogging. When did we suddenly not become human. If you look at others work...you will find that it is not all perfect...it can't be...we can strive for perfection but we have to allow ourselves to be human too.

If you find you have too much trouble crossing the lines exactly...you might want to consider not using the panto if it bothers you too much.

Practice always makes us better. One nationally know teacher says she always starts at the bottom of a quilt (if there is one) because she is so much better quilting the design by the time she reaches the top of the quilt. In other words...she is not perfect.

Didn't mean to rant and rave about perfection, but we all seem to get so possessed by being perfect. I do, but I try to not too.

In our quest to be perfect there is compuquilter...I love mine.

Good Luck,

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Thank you all for your help. Cheryl, you are right about the 'perfection' bit. Someone told me once I was a "perfectionist" ....so I guess I better get over it or change my pattern. The problem is the pattern is sooo perfect for the quilt. I did try the highlighting method yesterday and it certainly helped but I thought today I would try the tracing method. It might be a little easier. Thank you Donna for that idea. It is a good job that I have a practise quilt on the machine right now or my lady's quilt!!! Anyway I will let you all know how I do.

Libby

Libby,

Maybe put a bullseye mark at the center of the crossing lines...aim for that mark and it may decrease the size of the triangles. If your panto is perfect for the quilt...the small triangles made where the lines intersect will become apart of the panto...the perfection of the panto for the quilt will be the focal point, not the small triangles that will become apart of the panto. Did that make sense?

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

if you are missing it every time it will look like part of the design. If you are not missing it you could always edit the panto to include a flower or some loops so that the intersection has more going on than just the 3 lines crossing. That way any triangles would look like part of the additional design.

I hope this helps, and I couldn't agree more with Cheryl about the perfectionist thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived