T-Shirt quilt

I have a customer who want me to quilt her t-shirt quilt. T-shirts have interfacing on wrong side and are sashed with batiks. It measures 80 X 80. I am going to do an edge to edge.

I would like suggestion on backing, batting and thread. Any other hints or info on quilting a t-shirt quilt is greatly appreciated as I have never done one of these.

When I am done I will send pics.

Thanks

HI Tonilyn,

I have made and quilted a few T shirt quilts. On the last one I used cotton quilt wide backing, bamboo batting and So fine thread on top and bottom line in the bobbin. I quilted over the whole quilt using Circle lord boards in the "Meander " pattern and it turned out beautifully, no special care required. i had a 4.0 needle in the machine. I treat them as any other edge to edge design. I believe there is a picture posted in the Circle Lord 2012 Quilt show if you would like to see it. Have fun and don't be afraid of it.:D

One of the T-Shirt quilts I did they had included some ribbing like portions in the corners. You need to check if there are any spots like that because you need to plot your panto to go around them. I only had one quilt like that, but 4-5 of the shirts were that way. My DH watched from the front and warned me when one was coming up then I used a fine line wash off marker on the plastic over the panto to create a path around it.

Hi Tonilynn,

I do them all the time. I usually use King Tut on top and prewounds on the bottom. I use whatever batting I'm given or Hobbs 80/20 or cotton batting. I think, however, that bamboo would be less heavy. I meander freehand using a 4.0 needle. I sometimes go through those parts where the corners meet and have had no major problems. Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing the end product.

I make and quilt alot of these. Most of the time I use a quality poly batting (not the cheap stuff). I'm a Pellon girl so I use their poly batting, but have also used Quilter's Dream poly and even Pellon Legacy bamboo blend once. The reason I use poly is because the quilts get so dang heavy plus I don't want the antique crinkled look after it's washed. Most of tht ime I sue a variegated thread becuase they look great on these quilts - I love Rainbows look but it can get finicky at times. The best bet is to lay the thread out on the quilt and see what you like the best. If you can't decide on a color - you can also go with a very light grey in So Fine or monofilament - but get the poly kind not nylon. I've used both and that way the design shines through.

I go a bit slower on these especially through thicker parts like rubbery shrits. But I haven't had any problems and they are such a great memory!

If you go to my Facebook page I have tons of pictures of these quilts I've done. Good luck!;):P:D:cool:

Archived