What to do and need opinions

This is a quilt top for the Clinton County Quild Raffle. I have some ideas, but wondered if your collective brains could come up with additional things to do.

My question for one thing, is that the dark sashings are only 1 inch wide. If I stitch in the ditch around the blocks, Gasp!!!, do I need to do something inside the 1 inch sashing. I am not a fan of leaving anything unquilted on the quilts I do. When I look at a quilt with no quilting in some places, I feel like the quilter forgot to do that spot LOL. The backing is light and I planned on using a cream thread.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Am I being too picky about the non-quilted areas? By the way, this thing is HUGE!

Thanks so much, Chris 6976575277_84fbc2492d_z.jpg

382 by chrisquilt00, on Flickr

Chris, I am NOT one of the experts but.....I would SID around the sashings to keep the blocks nice and square. I would not necessarily quilt inside the black area. I am quilting for a customer right now who does not like much quilting in her quilts. It makes it hard for me because I have to figure where to quilt and what to do.

Originally posted by chrisquilter

.....My question for one thing, is that the dark sashings are only 1 inch wide. If I stitch in the ditch around the blocks, Gasp!!!, do I need to do something inside the 1 inch sashing. I am not a fan of leaving anything unquilted on the quilts I do. ....

Actually, leaving some things unquilted (such as this narrow 1 inch border) is a very good habit because it gives the eye a place to rest. Quilting something to death is not always the best thing for a quilt.

Maybe leave the 1 inch border unquilted for now and finish the rest of the quilting on the quilt... then go back and reassess whether or not to quilt that narrow border.

I left the 1" sashing unquilted in the BAQ I did because I wanted it to pop and creat a nice frame for each block. I have a personal quilt I'm working on that has 1" sashing and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to leave it unquilted. Right now I'm thinking I will do either straight lines or squares on point just to add some quilting to it. Not sure yet though.

In the Charlotte's Sash quilt I posted about two weeks ago, I left the one inch middle sashing that surrounded the blocks unquilted. I wasn't sure what to do either. Since it's black, I'd leave it as a frame. You could always ask some guild members for their opinion after you have half of it done.

Thanks you guys! I like the idea of leaving it unquited and deciding after everything else is done. I guess I have seen some quilts where the unquilted section looked baggy and saggy and that is why leaving something unquilted makes me uncomfortable. Usually on a sashing or border that small I would do my little wavy stitch, which would work, but I don't want to do it in cream thread on the nice clean black. I think the black shashing is such a striking design element. You really need it to pull this very scrappy quilt together.

Libby, I did go and look at your quilts. Yes, you are right, the unquilted borders look great! yea, I'm thinking I won't have to quilt those!!

Archived