My grandmother and mother taught me to sew on a treadle sewing machine when I was 9 years old. Always wanted to have one again. We found one on a tag sale, model no AC765383, which puts it in the 1929 age range, I think. Someone started to strip the cabinet so it will need to be refinished. It does sew but is really sluggish so I know it needs all taken apart and cleaned and greased. Also some of the black finish on the front edge and a few other places has worn thru and needs attention. It also needs a new treadle belt. This one is very dry and slipping.

Where would I go to find out how to do all this?

The absolute best place to go for information on restoring and using your treadle is Treadleon. There is a website and mail list.

http://www.treadleon.net/

I have several treadles but my goto treadle for piecing is a Davis Vertical Feed that is almost 130 yrs old. Sews beautifully! You will love yours too when you have it cleaned and sewing again.

Debbe

I second treadle on. I rescued my grandmother's white treadle from 1911 which had been sitting in an attic for about 50 years. I got lots of information on line on how to clean it up and service it and now can sew on it. If you do a google search you will find what you need. Enjoy your new toy-they are a joy for piecing.

Archived