Ricky Tims binding

I was talking to a gal in the quilt store and she was explaining how to do a Ricky Tims' piped binding. I got it all ready to go, but need to know when I cut the extra batting and back from the quilt do I leave an extra 1/4 inch or do I trim right up to the edge of the quilt?

I am also looking for a used copy of this his DVD "Grand Finale." I you have one to get rid of I would be interested in purchasing it. Please be in touch.

Thanks

Just to be sure - you are talking about his technique where you straight machine stitch the binding to the back of the quilt and do a very small zig zag machine stitch to the front?

If so. after you machine stitch the binding to the back, then you trim to 1/4 inch from the stitch line -all layers - then bring the binding to the front and do a very tiny zig zag stitch right over the straight stitch line with matching thread - It is a very secure neat binding - great for kids quilts.

With this technique you only need a 2 inch binding, folded in half. My got to method when the quilt is not going to a show--

Jane

Yeah, I tried this once. I had to trim the quilt first, then attach the binding, lining it up with the trimmed edge then turning it to the front. If your binding isn't filled, cut a tiny strip of batting and insert it into the folded binding as you stitch it down from the front. The reason I didn't like this method, is because for me it was virtually impossible to have the stitching lines right on top of each other. Sometimes it would catch part of the binding on the back, sometimes not. Looked fine from the front...the back...not so much.

Archived