needle size? and bobbin issue.

So I have been using size 4 needles in my machine forever. I just reordered needles and decided to try 3.5's. I love how small of a hole they leave. I guess my question is what size do you normally use? and is it ok to generally use a 3.5 unless it's really a thick quilt. I was quilting with a poly batt also, so does dream batting or warm and natural make a difference in needle size also. My second question or problem is, when I stop my machine to say advance to do a border, my bobbin isn't working. I have to take it out and rethread and put back in before starting again. Why is it doing this... It's so annoying..

Carol :)

Pgh, PA

Carol,

I prefer a 3.5. The only issue you may have is more needle flex but if you quilt smoothly you won't notice an issue. As for the bobbin if you are using a pre-wound it takes a bit more to pull the thread. Before you cut your thread move the machine head 3" or so away from the hole and that will leave you a longer tail out of the bobbin and you should have that problem.

not an issue with the bobbin when I cut my threads. It's when I stop in a design for some reason, and then go to start sewing again. It doesn't just keep sewing.. I have to rethread the bobbin and pull the thread up and start as if I am starting new. I was doing a border verticle tonight and had to keep advancing the quilt to continue the design. Each time I had to stop and start out new again. The purpose of me not quilting the border while I was on that section, was so I could just quilt it at one time without stopping the design.

Carol: When I first got my used machine, I was having problems with the thread breaking when I would stop the machine. That's when I discovered that the bobbin case was supposed to have a backlash spring in it, and mine didn't. I don't remember what the threads looked like (birds nest or what ever)

Have you changed anything to quilt this quilt? New type bobbin thread or prewound bobbins? Are there any other signs of bobbin thread problems? Maybe there is a burr somewhere that's cutting the bobbin thread when you stop. Good luck. Jim

There is a backlash spring in it, and wasn't with prewounds. I usually wind my own, except for white or beige. Just thinking about it today after the fact and wonder if my bobbin tension was a tad bit too tight. I will check in the am to see if that may be the cause of my issue. Sometimes the obvious doesn't appear because it's right in front of our faces.

Archived