dull needles

I've changed over to King Tut cotton. Now I did a silly thing and caught my acrylic ruler between the needle bar and the hopping foot. Machine shut down. I did replace the fuse (blew one out) and started sewing, but the machine seems to be making a clicking noise. I will replace the needle tomorrow.

On the cottons you may have to loosen the tension a bit. I've also heard that using cotton in the bobbin (to match the thread) but I'm not sure what else it could be. Do make sure that the thread isn't catching on the light switch, and that it's running through all the guides...

Cynthia

Blue Moon: How long have you been having this problem? I had a quilt once that the threads kept snagging and the batting was bearding. I thought it was the needle. Changed the needle about 3 or 4 times and it kept happening. It ended up being the fabric because it never happened again. Not sure if it was the top or bottom fabric or both.

Also, I've heard of people getting a whole package of bad needles.

If the needle isn't hitting something, I can't imagine why it would be getting dull. If it continues to happen on your next quilt and if you pull needles from a different package, you'd better check with Connie or Mark.

Cynthia,

I did a quilt last week where I was using the rulers and the same thing happened to me (more than once). The first thing you need to do is check the needle height position (the top of the eye should be barely visible when the needle is in the down position. Then you need to check the timing. For me the little clicking noise was from the hook assembly hitting the needle and displacing it a bit. I did find that if I repositioned the needle immediately after I hit the ruler, the timing didn't go bad.

Good Luck,

Donna

The training video if you have it. Your manual if you don't. Or call Connie, she'll help. On my Millie, to fix the needle height, you have to unscrew the front plate (two screws on each side) Under it is a hole, in which is a screw that can be loosened to adjust the height of the needle (flat head screwdriver). Hope this helps, but Connie is the expert.

:P

I did a super kingsize recently that gave me a lot of grief with the 'dull needle' syndrome. The quilt was totally made of heavy batiks including the back. The material is the only reason I can think of to cause the problem. I changed needles several times before finishing. I was told on another list that the fabric couldn't possibly be the problem, yada, yada, yada. I use the GB needles and have never had a problem before or since then. So it could be your fabric. Batiks are made with a 'wax' process and I can see where they would dull or grab or otherwise create needle problems.

Mary

Hi All:

Boy..you are all getting so smart, heck pretty soon you won't even need my help!

Although, I would still come on here to bug you!

Anyway, One of the first things is, absolutely check the needle depth,if it is to low, the needle will dull.

Make sure it is all the way up in the needle bar.. Is it nicking any of your bobbins?

In your manuel there is a section on timing, if you follow that it isn't to bad, after you read through it and get started, if you need any help, give me a call!

Good Luck

Connie Hurst

APQS Service Mgr/Tech.

800-426-7233 ext. 6

Archived