suggested fixes aren't fixing my loops

Well, problem is solved. I was using a new bobbin that had been a little hard to get on the winder. I think maybe it had a little burr on the center ring. When I went back to an old bobbin Mojo went back to behaving nicely. :) Now we are both happy.

I am working on a customer quilt and having problem with loops at some of my corners where I change direction on the panto. I have made sure I'm not moving to fast and coming to a stop at the corners. I have blown out the bobbin area with my air compresser. I have rethreaded the machine in case the thread has a twist. I have tightened the top thread. I have used a bobbin genie. I will think the problem is solved because I stitch for a bit and check and it looks good. Then the next thing I know it's making loops again. Of course, this is a customer quilt I'm working on. GRRRR Any more suggestions?

We have different machines, so this may not work for you. And keep in mind, I've never seen an APQS in action!

Having said that, on my Nolting, where the thread comes off the cone it tends to get some slack as the machine is stitching, and then the slack is taken up and then more slack happens as we stitch along. What we do on the Nolting is put a little bit of batting up in the "thread stand" where the thread is first threaded before going through any of the guides. This helps so that when the spool does its "slack" thing, the thread stays at an even tension before going through the guides and tensioner. If we don't do this, generally we get those loops.

Would something like this work on the APQS? I can take a picture of what I'm trying to relay if it will help you visualize better.

I hope you get your problem figured out. Tension is bummer and can really ruin a day.

I got to thinking (which can be dangerous) and I realized that I was using a new bobbin and I remembered that it was tighter than my other bobbins when pushing it onto the "axle" of the bobbin winder. I changed to one of my old bobbins and that seems to have fixed the issue. Of course, now Mojo is threaded differently, has batting in the thread guide and the top tension has been loosened and tightened several times so now when I get this quilt off the frame I will have to give her a break and get her back to normal.

Archived