Tension problem again!

Greetings,

I was about 3/4 through quilting a quilt this past weekend. I had it on 9 stitches per inch. The machine was going along fine until my thread started popping. I lossened the tention a tad bit. Then when I took the quilt off the machine, there was only a small area where there was loose tension in the back. Now I have to take this out and put in again.

I wonder if it has someting to do with not using the machine on a regular basis? The machine had been sitting for about a month without activity.

I do not understand how this could happen when 95% of the quilt, the tension was fine. Has this ever happened to anyone? If so what did you do?

I am very frustrated with the tension problem. I want this problem to go away. It has been happening for over a year. I do not know what else to do.

Please help.

This is just a guess but I'd bet it has to do with lint in the bobbin case. Use a pin to carefully clean under the finger. Make sure the bobbin thread is staying in the pin. For me it is always a lint issue when my tension randomly changes. The only other thing that I've had happen is that the upper thread comes off the L shapped hook under the tension disk. Usually happens when I have to rethread the needle.

I agree with Heidi that's the first place I check. Also make sure the thread is seated all the way in the tension disks and sometimes it will come out of a pigtail and cause you grief. And yes I have ripped out two full rows of a panto in the middle of a quilt.

Nigel

We have a small compressor and usually blow out at the beginning of the day. Our go to threads are So Fine and Glide and therefore get very little lint. We used to get thread locally for about half the price of So Fine but we gots lots of lint with it and we had to blow out every couple of bobbin changes. Saving two or three dollars a day and doing more cleaning wasn't worth it.

Nigel

Archived