Machine will not stitch at all

Last weekend, a needle broke because I believe I accidentally hit a pin at the bottom of the quilt. Yesterday, I changed the needle and reloaded a quilt that I had quilted last week because I had to frog a section because of tension issues again. Well the machine would not sew at all. The thread kept breaking after the first stitch. I tried for hours to get it sew. I thought it was the tension disk. What is wrong now?

Check the hole in your needle plate for scratches or gouges. Those are common when you have a needle break and will cause thread breakage. Even those you can hardly see will break your thread. Best thing is to remove the needle plate and run a strip of panty hose or other light nylon through the hole - it will snag on any scratches, and then you can buff them out with emery cord or strips of very fine sandpaper.

You might also have a scratch or gouge on the hook assembly, but check the needle plate first. There is a section in your manual that talks about thread breakage - it will walk you through the various causes.

I can see the eye of the needle but there are areas on the hook that are not smooth. The manual said I need to buy some emery paper/sand paper to make it shiny again. I can see some roughness on the green area of the hook. I think I found the problem. I will let you know tomorrow if sanding it down will help the breakage problem.

Thank you ladies.

You all are so helpful. I love this forum.

I figured out the problem. I had the needle in backwards... dahhhhhh! I am so embarrassed. At least I figured it out. I heard this clicking. I got the manual out and read about the correct way to insert the needle. That is why my thread was breaking. Thank you ladies for your help. I have to admit, I rarely change the needle.

Originally posted by semedo2000

I figured out the problem. I had the needle in backwards... dahhhhhh! I am so embarrassed. At least I figured it out. I heard this clicking. I got the manual out and read about the correct way to insert the needle. That is why my thread was breaking. Thank you ladies for your help. I have to admit, I rarely change the needle.

No worries! You did know, didn't you, that there are two kinds of longarm quilters? Those that have put the needle in backwards, and those that will....;)

Yup, we've all been there. Usually when tired or stressed. It might suggest you need to change your needle more though. It will give you much better stitches, do less damage to the fabric and give your machine less work to do.

Ferret

I will change my needle more. I have a pack of needles that I have had for a year. I have only used 2 so far in the pack. I need to change my needle at least once a month.

I am still having tension problems. I do not think the needle had anything to do with the tension issues.

Archived