You just can't please some people....

I agree with Cheryl. On my intake sheet I absolve myself of anything above the cost of materials in case of circumstances not under my control. Tornados, wind damage flooding fire etc. There is also a place that they give permission to let me use their quilt's pictures in any advertising, etc. You could very easily place a clause that states that in the case of pieced backings there will be no gaurantee of centering either horizontally or vertically. Any backing or quilt top will have to be marked clearly with top and bottom labels. Go over this with them and then have them sign it. If they balk then just telll them you want to be above board and have no misunderstandings later. If they still balk it could be they want to argue later and get their quilting for free. The phrase "business policy" conveys a no nonsense stance on these things.

I even have my friends sign my take in sheet that states the quilt type, whether or not batting is supplied, if not the cost of the batting and the price of the quilting (per inch and I measure in front of them), you can also add lines for ironing fees, fixing wavy borders fees etc.

I tell my friends I want them to stay friends, and with everything out in the open they have nothing to complain about later.

Good luck in the future with your customers, your good work should carry you far.

Archived