Wool batting

I need suggestions on wool batting. I know for detail on wall hangings you use a layer of wool and hobbs but if this quilt is going to be used on a daily basis is it a good idea to use wool and would I still use the Hobbs too? Does it wash up nice? This is the graduation quilt for my son I started over a year ago and my goal is to finish piecing this weekend and quilt it next week. I can't wait for this bad boy to be finished.

One layer of wool is great for bed quilts. Another layer of batting will add weight and affect the drape, but go for it if it's a cold weather quilt. Wool is good for any season since it breathes and isn't heavy.

I'm using QD wool right now for an applique quilt to be used on a bed--it's all homespun and the appliques are nicely defined. The instructions say to launder in cool water and machine dry on cool setting so the batting will stay nice without shrinkage and possible felting.

I also love Tuscany wool--my favorite.

If you want easy care and the same stitch definition as wool, perhaps try a puffy poly like Dream Puff or Hobbs Poly-down. Then you won't need to worry about special laundering.

Pictures please!

I have both wool and Dream Puff. So if I use the wool only it will drape better? I will get pic's of this one and post I promise. I've been several years on the forum and I still haven't posted a pic yet shame on me. LOL Thanks for sharing.

I just finished a quilt for my grandson, and used Quilter's Dream Puff. It is easy-care, gives nice stitch definition, and drapes well. I would not use 2 layers of batting on a bed quilt, personally.

For a young man, I would go with the QD Puff.

Archived