bobbin winder

Speaking of Bobbin winders, I got a stand alone with my Liberty in Oct 06. I have a problem with the "popping" the bobbin on the winder without ripping my finger or thumbnail off. Any one give me any tips on use the the stand alone bobbin winder? I load it facing the thing and have actually tried leaning it back to pop the bobbin in. Lost another thumb nail yesterday.:(

Beth,

I have my winder un-plugged put the bobbin in and thread turn it a few times then plug it in and let it go. I wish they had a speed control so you can start out slow then go or at least an on and off switch. It still scares the begibbers out of you and when I can't stand that I wind them on the Bernina and use the winder for a cone holder. Does a fantastic job for that.

Sheryl

Beth,

If you look at the place that holds the bobbin while winding you will see that it has a split in it. You may need to take pliars and just squeeze it together just a wee little bit. My problem was the opposite so the bobbin had a hard time starting to wind and my bobbins were a mess. Mark told me to take a screwdriver and push it into the split until it opened it up just a bit. I did that and it worked. It was harder to get the bobbin off and on. I would think that if you did the opposite--squeezing the split together it would help your problem.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Ladies, Thanks for all the good ideas.

I will try both ideas and see what happens. I may try winding some on my Bernina also! This is so frustrating!:mad:

DEBLU - the smallest pak of prewounds I have found are like 10 - but then when you are doing a quilt you may need 10 depending on how much stitching your are doing. I have seen SuperBObs with multiple colors in a pack.

I have the boobin winder that was ordered together with my Millennium APQS: I can handle it pretty well, and use it a lot, since I like to use YLI 100% Cotton Machine quilting threads, variegated, and use them both on top and bottom of a quilt. This means winding the bobbins yourself. It amazes me how much bobbins should be prewound, 10 to 20 for a large quilt. I always have at least 10 bobbins winded up for one quilt, and with much quilting 15 to 20, so I don't have to wind up between quilting.

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

I also have the stand alone bobbin winder I received with my freedom. I really like mine. This is what I learned in the process of figuring it out. I have the bobbins with the holes all around one side. I put the thread going from the inside through to the outside with a nice long tail. Put the bobbin on the winder, but don't push it all the way on. While holding the tail turn your bobbin about 4 or 5 turns to lock the thread (keep holding the tail), then use the half moon (I like to think of it as the on button) by pushing it towards the bobbin which starts as soon as it clicks. I just hold the tail (not too tight or the bobbin will move towards you) until it twists off.

I hope this may help you come to like your bobbin winder like I have.

Char

My bobbin winder is chewing up the little black gramts that fit on the pin that sticks out of the motor. Anyone have that problem?

I had my hubby put a little $2.79 on off switch in the electrical line of the bobbin winder. It is terrific don't know why they don't come that way.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got the stand alone bobbin winder and I really like it. It took me about five minutes to screw in the posts and wind the first bobbin.

Also, I think I have finally solved a problem I've been having on EVERY bobbin winder I've ever used: I wasn't wrapping the thread around the tension disk one whole revolution. Now that I know that, I'm going to try it on my domestic machines too.

I am amazed at how FAST it wound the bobbin, and how evenly wound it was. On most winders, I have to hold the thread myself to get a smooth bobbin. (Which may be because of that tension disk issue I was having.)

Anyway, I'm delighted with it. My longarm is in the basement and my domestic machines are upstairs, if they were together, I'd probably wind all of my bobbins on it.

I don't use pre-wounds, I prefer to wind my own, so that I can use whatever colors I want, and whatever threads I want.

Robbi Joy Eklow:P

Archived