MQX, MQS or Houston?- Opinions please.

I'm considering my options for a trip to the states next year, and need the opinions of those in the know who have been to all three shows. I have been to Houston twice, but didn't take any long arm classes as I didn't have my machine then.

If you had to pick one show out of the ones mentioned above to attend next year, which one would it be and could you tell me why please?

Whichever show I choose to go to, I am hoping to take quite a few classes. But as the shows appear to be at different times of the year, will only be able to attend the one.

Thanks in advance for your help on this one.:)

Julie that is a tough one. It depends what you are looking for. I think if you are looking for classes I'd go MQX or MQS. If you are going for shopping Houston wins the big prize, MQS next and last MQX. I'm hoping now that MQX is moving back to NH that the vendor list is a whole lot better. It has been very diappointing the last few years. I know a lot of vendors bowed out because of the price of vending. When the show was in NH is was a lot better and quainter than in RI. I've never been to MQS but I've heard from friends that their vendors are better. I like the quilts a whole lot better at MQX than Houston. Houston is a lot of art quilts and if that is what you are in to then go there.

I went to MQS and MQX west Portland, liked both but preferred MQS, bigger and more LA vendors.

I am going to Houston this November with non-LONGARMERS. Not sure if I will take any classes because we are flying in on Friday and leave Sunday.

Julie, please Email me when you are in the states.

Corey

Guest Linda S

I, of course, am an MQX advocate. I've been to both Houston and MQX. If your intention is to shop, then by all means, Houston would be the venue you want. Their show floor is the size of a couple of football fields and you'll have so much to choose from it will dazzle you. However, if you want some hands-on classes, or just a superb variety of classes, I'd go for MQX. As far as the price of classes, yes, when you add all you want to take up, it does seem like a lot. However, take a look at what it costs when a quilting artist comes to your area and you sign up for a class with them. Would you rather pay $200 for a class when one teacher comes to town, or $45-$50 for a class when you can take one after the other? Not to mention that, when you take a hands-on class at MQX, you get one machine head per student. The year I went to Houston, we had as many as 12 students to one machine head in the longarm classes. It was wild, indeed.

What a great trip to look forward to and plan for! Plus so many chatters attend these shows you can meet your long-distance friends. I have hopes to visit Houston once. Been to MQX West and will again attend this year. Classes get more expensive every year--but I'm not surprised at that.

The shows are well-organized so you can get lots of info ahead of time and find roommates or discounted accommodations if needed.

Looking at the MQX West classes the trend seems to be more hands-on (and pricey @ around $175), lots of computerized-systems classes, and more DSM classes than I've seen before.

Have fun planning the trip!

MQX and MQS are "Machine Quilting" shows specifically around classes and tools for machine quilting only. If you want to focus on machine quilting that's the one to go to.

Houston is a "everything you can imagine" (both hand and machine quilted). It's huge. Lots of international competition.

Both are amazing. Either one you will be happy.

Archived