black wheel marks on quilt

lovekidz

So sorry to read you have marks on the white border--you're in good company since I think we all have done this. Use the least-invasive and abrasive method. Try a mild soap ( without phosphates) like Ivory or Dreft. Make a solution and blot it on with a cloth towel to see if you can lift the marks.

I've had success with Grandma's Secret Spot Remover. Use as little as possible--apply with a Q-tip only on the marks. Blot and re-apply. It will need to be rinsed out, so keep the solution from spreading across the fabric if you can.

Sew Clean is another product, but it has a strong orange odor and removing it will require washing the whole quilt. I've not had much luck with this product, but some people swear by it.

Great tips girls. I haven't done this yet but I am sure I will sooner of later.

Dotty, the Grandma's and baking soda sounds like a good idea. I love Grandma's Spot Remover. I hope you are able to get the marks out. Please let us know the out come and what you used that worked for you.

Thanks for sharing.

I have most of a case of Grandma's Spot Remover here. Works wonders. I ended up with a whole new wardrobe of shirts to wear after I got it, because it removed those impossible oil stains things leave when they fall on "the shelf." ;) My brother loves it for getting grease out of his work clothes, and yes, it also works on stains on quilts! :D

I'm going to save these tips! I have received quite a few quilt tops with plain white backings. Even though my machine and table and area are kept clean, white backings are scary as they are so big and show everything! I hope the tips help you to get the roller marks out. For a job like ours (quilting) that is mostly fun, it sure comes with its fair share of high stress situations!!!

Thank you everyone for your help. I had tried OxiClean remover and Sew Clean before I asked all of you. I now know that I should ask all of you first. It seems as though the paste withGrandmas Spot Remover, water and and baking powder worked. I wish I had tried that first. thank you all again. You saved the day. The quilt is for our local quilt show and I spent days working on the quilting. thank, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Dotty

Archived