ARGH/Venting

:( I think the quilting gods are out to get me...I'm a newbie with a Milli and all I've done is -3- yards of muslin. I got it the 2nd week of November. That week I had to spend -3- nights in a hotel in Milpitas, CA for a meeting. Not even a spa!!! Then, I hurt my ankle and had to wear a big boot thing over Christmas. Well, that hurt my back and I haven't been able to stand for very long. Now, I have pneumonia. At least I can talk to my machine and walk by it every day.

Well that is a bummer!:(

But you can still quilt, now's the time to cozy up in your favorite chair & pen doodle your quilting!;)

When you are feeling better you can fearlessly attack those bad quilting demons!!:P

Well wishes heading your way~

Linda

What a downer! I hope everything turns around soon for you.

The suggestion of doodling is a really good one. Reading/studying quilt books is also one of my favorite things to do, while wrapped up in my favorite flannel quilt, drinking some tea. I also like to watch quilting DVDs. Chat with everyone here will be helpful, too.

I hope you feel better soon.

Sandy

Hello smd719-

I can truly feel your frustration.

I too am a Newbie. I recieved my Millie in early August of 06.

I am a Migraine sufferrer and a mother of two 6 year olds. (Go figure! lol) But I have been sidelined from quilting more times than I can imagine.

A Severe Migraine in mid-December has left me with almost stroke like symptoms. My vision is off and my right hand has little feeling. Sometimes I get things Backwards. But things are starting to get better and you guessed it, I've been quilting as often as possible.

Sometimes, minor setbacks help us focus.

I wish you a speedy recovery. And Happy Quilting.

And yes, This Chat is like a lifeline sometimes, Even if all you do is lurk it keeps us all connected to what we love.

Keep your chin-up!

Laura

Hi Laura,

I have been thinking about you for the last month. Wondering how you were doing. I am so sorry to hear you are suffering so from your migraines. I can't imagine getting them that severely. "Mild" (not that they exist) migraines are bad enough. My last one was in Houston, knock on wood.

I wish you and sdm a speedy recovery. If I can help you out with anything let me know.

Myrna

I am on a beta blocker for my migraines, which has been awesome!

But to see your side, take things slow, watch technique videos, get some slicks from Nichole Webb (remember these are actual for rehabilitation and will get your hand to eye coordination back up to speed!)

Good luck and lots of hugs!

cynthia

My first Christmas quilting season I had 28 quilts lined up to be done in time for Christmas. I got pneumonia and was sick for almost 8 weeks! Only one customer was pushy and wanted her quilt done. Since she was so understanding, I haven't agreed to quilt for her again! I eventually got well and finished all of the quilts. They were still there ready to be quilted. Sure does cramp your style to be down and out though!

Keep your chin up! You will have plenty of time to practice when you get healed up.

You may want to get a stool so you can sit and quilt too.

Sandy and Linda had great suggestions to doodle and watch some quilting DVD's.

When I sold Tupperware I actually enjoyed getting no's for booking parties because that meant that I was that much closer to getting a yes, a one in ten usually. So just think that your present bad health is going to be out of the way soon and you will enjoy healthy lives for the rest of the year. Get the nasties over with soon.

I'm a newbie too and it does feel that it is taking much longer to get where I wanted to be. I just got back from taking three days of lessons with Myrna Ficken and it was a great start to the new year. Good thing I took notes because she covered so much material. She took away a lot of anxiety and stress for me. I highly recommend her as a great instructor.

Vicki

Vicki, I like your perspective...getting the nasties over with.

My frustration is that I can't gt to my machine enough. It is in my studio about 100 feet away...uphill. Toset up to work, I have to go up and turn the heat on, its a bit chilly. Then I have to do another trip up there to bring a project for my 3 year old plus his toys du jour, and snacks and drinks. Then I have to get the 3yo to go potty before we go up (no bathroom up there). Next, I have to take him and carry the 22 pound 5 month old baby too. Now on a good day, I can do all that in about 30 minutes, but the kids can slow it down enough to take an hour or more. And I haven't even warmed up the machine yet.....

I know it will get easier, and I keep trying to make it more routine for us, but for now it is a struggle.

The thing that really gets to me is that I know I will be really good at LAing, I just can't seem to get to it. I really want to spend more time with my machine. At this point, I feelike like I'm learning it all over again when too much time goes by between sessions.

I hope everyone is feeling great soon.

Tina

look at it this way, you got your machine when you are younger, just think how much better you will be at quilting when you get old like me!LOL! Seriously, I wish I could have gotten a machine about 20 years ago when I was already an avid sewer. Now the learning curve seems soooo long.

Cher

Thanks for all the kind words.

I've been doing Okay lately. I've suffered these Migraines for over 20 years. (OMG!, has it been that long?) I Guess in a way, you kind of get used to them.

Just finished two quilts. Wish I could figure out how to post. I'd love to share them with you all. For those of you that know, I finally finished "The Poodle Quilt" for my MIL.

Cynthia- What are the "Slicks" from Nicole Webb mentioned in your post? I've never heard of that.

Tina- Hang in there, Things will fall into a routine that works for you. I too have a studio that is seperate from my home and I have to get it heated up (via woodburner) before I can go quilt. I also watch a 2 year old during the daytime and have two daughters of my own. I Quilt in the evenings after Homework, dinner, baths and bedtime stories. I'm a night owl so this works out well for me. It does get easier. Hang in there!

Thanks again for all your kind thoughts.

Happy Quilting!!!

Laura

kennan100

I do have the radio flyer, but the path is a mess. Tree roots that jump out, rocks...oh and the dogs think the path is a great space to do their business. Lots of obstacles. My DH will go out and clear the way for me. My 3yo likes to do everything himself, even getting up that hill, and I haven't been able to figure out how to strap the baby's car seat into the wagon....it's a pretty rough ride LOL. Lately, I've been putting the baby into a sling thing to go up and down. Actually, he's in it alot while I am quilting. He can face in or out, and he loves to watch all he action of the machine. It makes it a bit difficult to reach things, and forget about getting to the bobbin, but at least I'm at the machine. Thank god for CQ.

Laura,

It is getting easier, you are right. the little one is spending less time attached to the boob, and sleeping longer. I am a night owl too, which helps. Some days are better than others.

Cher,

I am really grateful that I have this opportunity at this point in my life. My mom made all of this possible for me. I try to thank her everyday.

I appreciate the support from everyone on this site. This is such a great place to come to when I am feeling low and knowing that there are others out there who have struggled, and then to see that they have pulled through.

Tina

Archived