Bed Runner...Lots of background!!

ok ladies,

this is a flannel bed runner with circles appliqued on it. It measures 90" long and is 30" wide. The circles go from like 3" diameter up to 9". The customer said, do whatever will look good. She wants bright variegated thread on the black. She wants clear on the circles. My problem is what kind of fill do I do on all that black fabric????? Do I want to keep it small or make it big, will big compete with the circles.

my thoughts were maybe small feathers all over with some curly q's here and there...........or should I do that background fill that sorda looks like the catepillar effect, that would kinda mimic the appliqued 'caterpillar' or would that be too much????

I feel my migraine getting worse lol!!!

thanks girls

amy

post-3524-0-83628000-1350488921_thumb.jpg

post-3524-0-92984500-1350488938_thumb.jpg

Does she have a theme going on in that room? I don't tend to use thread that will show so if it were me I'd probably do black on black and I'd do a meandering feather, smaller in size. You could do curved lines in the circles and I think that would give them movement. If she has a theme you could try to quilt some of the theme motifs in the background in the varigated and then fill with black thread. You said catipeller so I'm thinking flowers and butterflies in the varigated thread and then fill in with a background fill, almost anything would work. Be sure to post pictures when you're done.

Thanks Heidi--

She has no theme, she doesn't know what she is gonna use it for. I suggested black thread on the black but she was adamant that she wanted bright variegated. I guess I will just start doodling on it and see what happens!!! My daughter keeps calling it the caterpillar quilt when she walks by it, so I just call it that now too lol.

thanks girls

amy

verigated does look great on black fabric, but make sure whatever background fill you do, that it's not one where you will travel "over" any existing stitching too much, or that will show! No MCT'ing!!! (for example). Meandering feathers would be pretty!

I LOVE Heidi's idea of using black thread to help out in the black fabric tho!!! Maybe use the black thread to push back areas in the black you want pushed down, to enhance the verigated thread stitching.

Good Luck!!

I think straight lines across the width bumping into the circles in variegated thread would look great...half inch apart, would contrast with the curves of the circles. Then a long feather running through the circles, starting large in the larger circles and getting smaller.....will be a cool quilt!

Archived