reasons to replace leader cloth

This is why I think I need to replace mine when I put my fabric on which is squared there always seems to be a little more play on the right side than the left side of the mounted cloth. Is this suppose to be normal? When I run a a straight line across the top it seems to be equal distance from the zipper humm.... has me puzzled why this happens. I watch when roling to make it roll evenly but still have the loose fabric on the right side. the canvas that is on right now has been there since 2007. :mellow:

I read somewhere to unroll your leaders almost all the way out and pull ,tug and stretch in the opposite direction as hard as you can ,do that on both ends and both sides then pin them together as if you were putting a quilt on and reroll them back and forth comepletely ,it made a world of differance for me ,then I remarked the centers .

Guest Linda S

When you load a backing, it will always seem a bit more slack on one side or the other. The best way to fix that? Roll the backing all the way up onto the take-up leader, and then roll it back again. Usually, once is all you need to do to fix it, but if it's not even, do it again. I find it always evens out.

I have been wanting to do this for a while, but either forgot or had a quilt on the machine. So, today, I went down and pinned my leaders together and rolled them tight - using the clamps on the ends to pull that way, too. Then I spritzed with water to let them dry that way. They were actually pretty straight, but figured this couldn't hurt and now I know !

Archived