NQR planning a diving/shopping trip to Hawaii

I am in the beginning stages of plannning a 2013 diving trip to Hawaii. My husband scuba dives and I snorkel. We are not interested in guided tours with a lot of people and the traditional tourist vacation. Just want to enjoy the great beaches, food, and environment.Probably will go to 2 islands for this trip and spend about 6 days for the entire trip. Any stories on your experiences would be very helpful in planning this trip.

Thank you

6 days is not enough. when you figure in airfare and lodging...whew. We always do 2 weeks and our son lives in Honolulu. His girlfriend took a week off work to take us anywhere we had to go. The first week we were in Kauai...that island is our favorite. It is beautiful. Our son, DIL and grands want to do a family trip next summer. They chose Oahu, Have been to Maui, now have changed and chosen Kauai. My DH is a happy camper. We are retired and will spend a few extra days in Honolulu Now I am searching out rentals in Kauai. We adore it there. Have been 3 times and can't wait to go back. Honolulu works too as Scott lives there as his girlfriend does. She took us all over and it was fantastic.

When are you going. Whale time in Jan/Feb is fantastic, especially out of the big island. We have been there for that. We were on a cruise to Tahiti whn we saw them Tahiti is on our go back to list. We did all the interior, beautiful back country stuff. Beautiful beaches tho. But, we will return to Hawaii as lond as our son lives there.

You will have a wonderful time...just wish you could spend more time.

Where's our Barb? B)

She and her DH venture to Hawaii at least once a year to dive and offsets the cost with spa treatments on APQS machines.

At least once a year, huh? Well, twice over two years does barely qualify, I guess! ;)

Marsha, the only diving we've done has been on the Kona coast on the Big Island. Diving was spectacular, and the local quilters (and quilt shop) are very friendly, but there weren't a lot of nice, sandy beaches, at least on the Kona side. I did a quick service/training trip over to Oahu - that island is beautifully lush and green, but I don't know anything about the diving or beaches from first-hand experience. As Marilyn said, six days is not very much, especially when you figure in travel time - and if your hubby is diving, he'll need some off-gassing time before he flies back to the mainland. I don't think you'll go wrong, no matter which island(s) you choose. Have a great trip!

Archived